Testudo Hermanni Hermanni?

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Hi I am thinking about purchasing two testudo hermanni hermannis. I have some pictures and wanted to get then confirmed the first one is a yearling and the second one is a hatchling. ImageUploadedByTortForum1384265546.060044.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384265560.060084.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384265576.370107.jpg also I know the yearling has irregular scutes. Here is the hatchling ImageUploadedByTortForum1384266592.952799.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384266605.501470.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384266618.854358.jpg
The hatchling is still very small so it may be difficult to tell, thanks Ben

Last edited by a moderator:

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
Ben, I have seen and held true westerns in my hand and they do not look like the ones you are looking to get. IMO, but I'm no expert on these, but they look like Easters to me. I hope your not spending the price of what a pure western goes for, as I think you would not be getting what your paying for. This is all just my opinion. Anybody else want to chime in? Please do. Just don't want to see you Ben get taken and have a bad taste in your mouth towards other breeders. Good luck!!!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Ben, I too have seen TRUE westerns that a friend has which originated at hermannihaven.com and they honestly look remarkably different than that.

Both the coloring and pattern don't match because the black of that hatchling is not nearly as dark as a true western. Plus the yellows of that hatchling look identical to a eastern in comparison to the intesity of the westerns yellows. The first time I saw a true western I was blown away with how different they are from the easterns. I hate to be a dissapointment to you but I'm pretty positive that the ones you are considering are either fully eastern, or majority eastern. My young dalmation trio's colors are more intense than that hatchling, and that shouldn't be the case if those were true westerns.

I'm on the waiting list for Chris Leone's western hermanns babies, and I've had to pass on "supposed" westerns in the past. Once I compared them to what I knew to be true westerns it was obvious they weren't. So I , like many others, will wait patiently for the real deal.

Best of luck to you!

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I don't think it's a pure Western either. Colors look off and the bands on the plastron are broken on the one. Perhaps a hercegovinensis? I'm definitely not an expert though. I would wait for Chris to chime in or send him the pictures. They're beautiful though. :)

If you really want Westerns, I would see if you could get yourself on Chris' list. He and his torts are pretty gosh darn amazing.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
ben32hayt said:
Hi I am thinking about purchasing two testudo hermanni hermannis. I have some pictures and wanted to get then confirmed the first one is a yearling and the second one is a hatchling. also I know the yearling has irregular scutes. Here is the hatchling
The hatchling is still very small so it may be difficult to tell, thanks Ben

They look like my dalmatians.
Annette

rockinghorse

5 Year Member
I think they are cute regardless. I like to think of my Eastern from Petsmart as a rescue. :)