Testudo Tortoise Identification Help!!! (Question about diet and eye as well)

pinkgirlisnice

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello! I recently purchased this testudo tortoise from pet smart! No information on the age, sex, or specific species, besides testudo genus. I’m a new tortoise owner and was wondering if anyone was able to tell what exact species of testudo tortoise this is? I also wondering if anyone could tell me what exactly to feed? I bought the recommended pellets, but was reading that should only be 25% or less of my tortoises diet. He hasn’t eaten any food since he’s arrived in his new home, but I’m assuming it’s because he’s been here less than 24 hours and is still getting used to it all. But on that note, what greens should I/can I be feeding him? Is store bought greens okay? Plants/greens/weeds/flowers from outside? Being very cautious with his diet as I want to make sure he’s getting enough but not eating anything bad for him.
Last question, I noticed within just a few hours of getting him, his one eye had some bubbles around them (kind of looked like spit but obviously wasn’t). He seemed to just rub them off, no big deal, but I noticed they appeared again and again. It doesn’t look like anything too concerning, nor does it seem to be bothering him much, but haven’t done any research and was wondering if anyone could possibly tell me what that might be/be from therefore if it’s anything to be concerned about. Thank you all so much!F3B85342-4F1E-4E6B-AA95-620C163F7619.jpeg

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Hi, welcome! It's a Russian tort
Here is the caresheet
I would recommend giving him a soak in warm water (which only touches the bottom shell, the plastron)
The bubbles could be a respitory infection, could you perhaps send images of his eyes etc?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is a Russian. If you can get natural foods this time of year that would be best. Grocery greens if you can't. Endive, kale, mustard, collard, spring mix just to name a few.
The eye may be because the store likely used a coil bulb which should not be used as it can cause eye problems. He also was kept too dry.
Give daily warm water soaks for a few weeks. The water can come up a little further then just touching the bottom shell.
He needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure indoors and hopefully that or bigger outside.
Show pics of the enclosure and we can help you tweak it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I recently purchased this testudo tortoise from pet smart! No information on the age, sex, or specific species, besides testudo genus. I’m a new tortoise owner and was wondering if anyone was able to tell what exact species of testudo tortoise this is? I also wondering if anyone could tell me what exactly to feed? I bought the recommended pellets, but was reading that should only be 25% or less of my tortoises diet. He hasn’t eaten any food since he’s arrived in his new home, but I’m assuming it’s because he’s been here less than 24 hours and is still getting used to it all. But on that note, what greens should I/can I be feeding him? Is store bought greens okay? Plants/greens/weeds/flowers from outside? Being very cautious with his diet as I want to make sure he’s getting enough but not eating anything bad for him.
Last question, I noticed within just a few hours of getting him, his one eye had some bubbles around them (kind of looked like spit but obviously wasn’t). He seemed to just rub them off, no big deal, but I noticed they appeared again and again. It doesn’t look like anything too concerning, nor does it seem to be bothering him much, but haven’t done any research and was wondering if anyone could possibly tell me what that might be/be from therefore if it’s anything to be concerned about. Thank you all so much!View attachment 337046
Congrats on the new baby. Good advice from the previous posters, but I wanted to add that pet shops, vets, and most online sources give terrible care advice, and the pet shops sell you the wrong size and type enclosure along with the wrong heating lighting and care products. You probably have a cfl type UV bulb, and those can burn their eyes. Turn it off ASAP. They probably also sold you a ramped water bowl. Those are dangerous and should not be used. No red bulbs for night time either. I'm so sorry to be telling you this after the fact, but at least you know now. My hope is that we can get your new little guy happy and healthy so that you two will have many enjoyable years together. Read that care sheet that The Last Green posted for you and your questions are welcome.

pinkgirlisnice

California
Hi, welcome! It's a Russian tort
Here is the caresheet
I would recommend giving him a soak in warm water (which only touches the bottom shell, the plastron)
The bubbles could be a respitory infection, could you perhaps send images of his eyes etc?
Hi thank you so much for your response! I will attach a photo of his eye below.

Attachments

• 749A8009-0C50-4C45-A27E-8E13593E1F22.jpeg
    749A8009-0C50-4C45-A27E-8E13593E1F22.jpeg
    921 KB · Views: 27

pinkgirlisnice

California
Congrats on the new baby. Good advice from the previous posters, but I wanted to add that pet shops, vets, and most online sources give terrible care advice, and the pet shops sell you the wrong size and type enclosure along with the wrong heating lighting and care products. You probably have a cfl type UV bulb, and those can burn their eyes. Turn it off ASAP. They probably also sold you a ramped water bowl. Those are dangerous and should not be used. No red bulbs for night time either. I'm so sorry to be telling you this after the fact, but at least you know now. My hope is that we can get your new little guy happy and healthy so that you two will have many enjoyable years together. Read that care sheet that The Last Green posted for you and your questions are welcome.
Hi thank you so much for replying! Thanks for the advice! I’ll attach a photo below of the light I’m using. I was told 75 wattage will do as he’s tiny but when he gets bigger I was told to use 100 wattage. Please give me any advice you have, if I’m using the wrong wattage/bulb, and what then to use. I do plan on taking him outside, but not sure how often. I want to make sure he’s getting the right vitamins and heat, but also not too much that could burn or harm him.

Attachments

• B624CDBB-BC74-47D5-A430-0BE7FE0A3B09.jpeg
    B624CDBB-BC74-47D5-A430-0BE7FE0A3B09.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

pinkgirlisnice

California
That is a Russian. If you can get natural foods this time of year that would be best. Grocery greens if you can't. Endive, kale, mustard, collard, spring mix just to name a few.
The eye may be because the store likely used a coil bulb which should not be used as it can cause eye problems. He also was kept too dry.
Give daily warm water soaks for a few weeks. The water can come up a little further then just touching the bottom shell.
He needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure indoors and hopefully that or bigger outside.
Hi thank you so much for the thoughts and advice! I will leave below a picture of his eye and the bulb I use for you to see. Please please tell me if I’m doing/using anything wrong and let me know then what to use. I was told 75 wattage will be okay as he’s tiny but was also told as he gets bigger to upgrade to 100 wattage.
Right now I’m using a 20 gallon tank, which I know is not at all ideal, but I’m planning on upgrading to a 40 gallon within the next few weeks. He’s tiny so I was told it’s okay to have him in a 20 gallon (though still not super ideal) but will need to upgrade fast. Does 40 gallon sound okay? I do take him out often (only supervised) but of course know that does not make up for space in his tank.

pinkgirlisnice

California
Hi thank you so much for the thoughts and advice! I will leave below a picture of his eye and the bulb I use for you to see. Please please tell me if I’m doing/using anything wrong and let me know then what to use. I was told 75 wattage will be okay as he’s tiny but was also told as he gets bigger to upgrade to 100 wattage.
Right now I’m using a 20 gallon tank, which I know is not at all ideal, but I’m planning on upgrading to a 40 gallon within the next few weeks. He’s tiny so I was told it’s okay to have him in a 20 gallon (though still not super ideal) but will need to upgrade fast. Does 40 gallon sound okay? I do take him out often (only supervised) but of course know that does not make up for space in his tank.
here is the bulb I use and his eye

Attachments

• 9FC0F7B1-3F2F-42F2-BD2F-D76F8B8EA5F2.jpeg
    9FC0F7B1-3F2F-42F2-BD2F-D76F8B8EA5F2.jpeg
    921 KB · Views: 7
  • 32FBBA20-7573-40D4-ACA1-C8A0903B63CA.jpeg
    32FBBA20-7573-40D4-ACA1-C8A0903B63CA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi thank you so much for replying! Thanks for the advice! I’ll attach a photo below of the light I’m using. I was told 75 wattage will do as he’s tiny but when he gets bigger I was told to use 100 wattage. Please give me any advice you have, if I’m using the wrong wattage/bulb, and what then to use. I do plan on taking him outside, but not sure how often. I want to make sure he’s getting the right vitamins and heat, but also not too much that could burn or harm him.
Your tortoise is full grown or close to it. It isn't going to get much bigger. Ordinarily spot bulbs would not be good for a tortoise because they will cause pyramiding in a young growing animal. In your case this isn't a factor so you can use it if you want. I would prefer a flood bulb, but our stupid CA government banned them, so you have to buy them out of state and have them shipped in, or go get them.

Get a digital thermometer that records the high and low from Home Depot or Walmart and set that under you bulb. It should rise to about 100. If it goes over 100, raise the fixture a little higher. If it only gets to 90 after an hour of cooking directly under the bulb, lower the fixture a bit.

This tortoise is old enough ad of the right species to live outside full time with the proper housing, if you want to. If you prefer to keep it in the house, you'll need the correct lighting and heating, and a very large 4x8 foot enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom , what do you think the bubbles in his/her eyes mean?
Don't know. Could be due to dry substrate and dust. I wouldn't worry about that. I would focus on getting the enclosure and temperatures correct, and then things like the eye issue will correct themselves.

pinkgirlisnice

California
Your tortoise is full grown or close to it. It isn't going to get much bigger. Ordinarily spot bulbs would not be good for a tortoise because they will cause pyramiding in a young growing animal. In your case this isn't a factor so you can use it if you want. I would prefer a flood bulb, but our stupid CA government banned them, so you have to buy them out of state and have them shipped in, or go get them.

Get a digital thermometer that records the high and low from Home Depot or Walmart and set that under you bulb. It should rise to about 100. If it goes over 100, raise the fixture a little higher. If it only gets to 90 after an hour of cooking directly under the bulb, lower the fixture a bit.

This tortoise is old enough ad of the right species to live outside full time with the proper housing, if you want to. If you prefer to keep it in the house, you'll need the correct lighting and heating, and a very large 4x8 foot enclosure.
Thank you so so much! This was extremely helpful!

Rstalder

CA
Last question, I noticed within just a few hours of getting him, his one eye had some bubbles around them (kind of looked like spit but obviously wasn’t). He seemed to just rub them off, no big deal, but I noticed they appeared again and again. It doesn’t look like anything too concerning, nor does it seem to be bothering him much, but haven’t done any research and was wondering if anyone could possibly tell me what that might be/be from therefore if it’s anything to be concerned about. Thank you all so much!View attachment 337046

Rstalder

CA
Wehn I bought "happy Mojo" from Petsmart..loose stools..quickly took him to reptile vet..loaded with parasites..with med doing well; might want to get him checked out..worth the effort..Mojo has put on tortie bulk..happy healthy and known a the red foot heart throb to the girl red foots..ha ha

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China
He doesn't look too malnourished so there's no need to stuff him with food, eventually when he gets comfy enough he'll probably start eating. The main concern right now is hydration, and it looks like he could really use a warm water soak. If he does eat you can give him a small slice of cucumber as they are 96% water. (This food should be used for hydration and not regular feed as they don't contain any nutrients.) Dehydration might also cause the eye bubbles so see if some soaks will clear it up.

Side note: The pet store you got him from got their info wrong/outdated, Russian tortoises are not Testudo anymore. Their genus is now Agrionemys.

pinkgirlisnice

California
Wehn I bought "happy Mojo" from Petsmart..loose stools..quickly took him to reptile vet..loaded with parasites..with med doing well; might want to get him checked out..worth the effort..Mojo has put on tortie bulk..happy healthy and known a the red foot heart throb to the girl red foots..ha ha
Hi thank you for the suggestion! He seems to be very healthy at the moment, but will definitely keep an eye out for anything off. Thank you though for sharing your personal experience and giving advice! It helps a lot, especially being a new tortoise owner.

pinkgirlisnice

California
He doesn't look too malnourished so there's no need to stuff him with food, eventually when he gets comfy enough he'll probably start eating. The main concern right now is hydration, and it looks like he could really use a warm water soak. If he does eat you can give him a small slice of cucumber as they are 96% water. (This food should be used for hydration and not regular feed as they don't contain any nutrients.) Dehydration might also cause the eye bubbles so see if some soaks will clear it up.

Side note: The pet store you got him from got their info wrong/outdated, Russian tortoises are not Testudo anymore. Their genus is now Agrionemys.
Hi! Thank you soooo much! He has been eating and drinking a lot more after getting more comfortable. But thank you for the advice and feedback!