Testudo Tortoise Rescued. Need ID help

Jodipg82

Location (City and/or State)
Oviedo
So I was in Petsmart getting substrate for my Leo baby and bought this guy/girl because they were breaking my heart. Clawing at the glass for the entire 15min I stood there waiting for my order. He was labeled as a Testudo but not sure what kind. Im going to call around to rescues to see if someone will take him/her as I have my hands full with my baby. But I just couldn't leave him/her there...

20200724_143108.jpg20200724_142620.jpg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Post the tortoise on tortoise forum. I am sure someone will take her. That's what I did. Then you know she will go to a good home

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I was in Petsmart getting substrate for my Leo baby and bought this guy/girl because they were breaking my heart. Clawing at the glass for the entire 15min I stood there waiting for my order. He was labeled as a Testudo but not sure what kind. Im going to call around to rescues to see if someone will take him/her as I have my hands full with my baby. But I just couldn't leave him/her there...
That is a Russian. Here is the care info for wherever the tortoise ends up:

Be careful and observe strict quarantine procedures around your other tortoise. The Russian is a wild caught animal and is likely to be carrying an assortment of pathogens and parasites that would happily infect and kill your Leo.

I know you meant well, but your money will now allow them to buy ever more tortoises to sell, and they will be in the same position as the one you just bought.

Jodipg82

Oviedo
That is a Russian. Here is the care info for wherever the tortoise ends up:

Be careful and observe strict quarantine procedures around your other tortoise. The Russian is a wild caught animal and is likely to be carrying an assortment of pathogens and parasites that would happily infect and kill your Leo.

I know you meant well, but your money will now allow them to buy ever more tortoises to sell, and they will be in the same position as the one you just bought.
Yes he/she is far away from my baby. I know the cycle will keep on with them putting tortoises in there but it just killed me watching him/her...so frantic and all the substrate was moved and she was on the glass of the display they had her in. I did not even know petsmart carried tortoises as I have never seen one before and only ever see hamsters and rabbits and small birds. The price seemed fairly low at $119 but I am not sure what the going rate is for Russians so I'm assuming they have had her for awhile and wanted to get rid of her. Animals in distress gut me...

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Yes he/she is far away from my baby. I know the cycle will keep on with them putting tortoises in there but it just killed me watching him/her...so frantic and all the substrate was moved and she was on the glass of the display they had her in. I did not even know petsmart carried tortoises as I have never seen one before and only ever see hamsters and rabbits and small birds. The price seemed fairly low at $119 but I am not sure what the going rate is for Russians so I'm assuming they have had her for awhile and wanted to get rid of her. Animals in distress gut me...
I don’t know how much Russians generally cost, but I do see them for $119 at the Petsmarts near me. I don’t think she was discounted, but I hear you. I’ve felt bad seeing them too.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
good for you saving this tortoise. I am sure you will find someone to take her if you keep advertising. Best wishes.

SLB

New Mexico

View attachment 301047View attachment 301048
Russian Tortoise - they are all wild-caught, mostly coming out of Ubekistan. It is creating terrible pressure on the wild population to service the pet trade, but the profits are high and protective legislation lacking, so the market is large. Russians often come with gut parasites, so you might want to have feces checked by a vet. It is best to use a service with same day fecal examination since some of the most likely culprits rapidly dissolve in feces that are a day old and won't be picked up in the testing. If you notice breathing issues, there is also the possiblity of lung parasites. Many Russians are Myco positive although they may be asympotmatic much of the time. The University of Florida offered excellent testing for this (check with your vet). Other labs also offer testing but I have found the U of Florida is the most accurate. The disease is not curable but individual outbreaks of respiratory illness can be controlled with a drug such as Baytril (ceftazidime doesn't work on Myco). You can find excellent advice on care at russiantortoise.net. A great seed mix for growing broadleaf plants appropriate for Russians - Mediterranean Mix - is available from tortoisesupply.com.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russian Tortoise - they are all wild-caught, mostly coming out of Ubekistan. It is creating terrible pressure on the wild population to service the pet trade, but the profits are high and protective legislation lacking, so the market is large. Russians often come with gut parasites, so you might want to have feces checked by a vet. It is best to use a service with same day fecal examination since some of the most likely culprits rapidly dissolve in feces that are a day old and won't be picked up in the testing. If you notice breathing issues, there is also the possiblity of lung parasites. Many Russians are Myco positive although they may be asympotmatic much of the time. The University of Florida offered excellent testing for this (check with your vet). Other labs also offer testing but I have found the U of Florida is the most accurate. The disease is not curable but individual outbreaks of respiratory illness can be controlled with a drug such as Baytril (ceftazidime doesn't work on Myco). You can find excellent advice on care at russiantortoise.net. A great seed mix for growing broadleaf plants appropriate for Russians - Mediterranean Mix - is available from tortoisesupply.com.
Good info here except for the Russiantortoises.net reference. That site is old and outdated, and still promoting a lot of the old wrong info, like sand substrates and MVB bulbs.

Welcome to the forum!