Testudo Weissingeri

Status
Not open for further replies.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lisbon, Portugal
Today, while visiting this Spanish site (from whom I bought my hatchling), I saw some Testudo Weissingeri Torts for sale (1 baby 100€, 2 babies 190€, 6 babies 540€).

They looked really nice (pics: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6), and I had never heard about them. So I did some google searches and came across some info saying the following:

"A population of small and light-colored Marginated Tortoises exists on the SW coast of the Peloponnesus, between Kalamata and south of Stoupa. The so-called "Dwarf Marginated Tortoise" was described as a new species Testudo weissingeri, but it is not recognizably distinct phylogenetically. Unlike the Sardinian population, it occupies an extremely restricted range with very arid habitat, and its apomorphies seem related to this. Considering ice age-associated climate and sea level changes, this population is probably not older than a few thousand years; as it is not geographically isolated, it should be considered a local morph, and not even a subspecies Testudo marginata weissingeri.(Fritz et al. 2005)"

-- From this site: http://wapedia.mobi/en/Marginated_Tortoise

I found adults pictured here: http://www.reptarium.cz/systematika.php?lang=en&cid=1232

Is anyone familiar with this pseudo-subspecies of Testudo Marginata?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They are only smaller because of their enviroment. All the DNA work and pictures show that it's impossible to tell them apart except for size.
As long as your not paying any more money for them then T. marginata don't see any thing wrong. Just as long as you know they are all T. marginata.

Danny

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
egyptiandan said:
They are only smaller because of their enviroment. All the DNA work and pictures show that it's impossible to tell them apart except for size.
As long as your not paying any more money for them then T. marginata don't see any thing wrong. Just as long as you know they are all T. marginata.

Danny

Thanks Dan. I'm not actually considering buying one, as I have no room for more than 1 tort, but was rather curious about this Testudo I had never heard about.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
[/quote]
rather curious about this Testudo I had never heard about.
[/quote]

Thanks for bringing this info forward TestudoGeek-I had never heard of them either. I too am always interested in a different subspecies or testudo I have never heard of.
And thanks Danny for your explanation.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
T-P said:
Is that smaller than a normal Marginated?

Yes. The Marginated Tortoise (Testudo marginata) is the largest European tortoise. They can reach up to 38cm

Status
Not open for further replies.