Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A couple weeks ago someone asked a question about tethering a tortoise. I tried to find that thread so I could post my pictures there, but couldn't.

A lady that has adopted tortoises from me in the past called to see if she could bring me a turtle. She found the turtle in her swimming pool. When she brought me the turtle this is what I saw:

Actinemysmarmorata-1.jpg

Actinemysmarmorata-2.jpg

This is a Pacific Coast Pond Turtle (Actinemys marmorata). It is the only native-to-California water turtle, and is protected. The laws governing this turtle are covered in the limit section of the DFG handbook...that is, like the limit for catching a striped bass is 3, or the limit for trout is 10. Well, the limit for pond turtles is 0. That means no one can have a pond turtle.

This poor turtle had a hole drilled in his shell and a plastic tie attached to it. Who knows what the plastic tie was attached to, but I'm sure glad the turtle was able to escape! Can you imagine someone tethering a water turtle? What would keep the poor turtle from drowning if his tether got caught up on something? The Pacific pond turtle is just the sweetest, nicest turtle. You can pick up a wild turtle that has never seen a human before in its life, and right away it is sweet, calm and seemingly tame. It just blows me away that someone would do this to a pond turtle.

Yvonne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Disgusting Yvonne that someone would do this my son Noah says the same thing. If you don't have the area for an animal and have to leash it to stay then you shouldn't have this animal. Why can't people see that? It's so sad thank goodness someone nice found it and gave it to you. Candy

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Is there any indication on how old the hole is? Is it infected, or fully healed? Hopefully you can cut the tie wrap off and set him free.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The hole is fully healed and mud encrusted! And yes, right after the picture was taken, I removed the plastic tie.

Yvonne

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
I was talking to a guy about smiley once, and he was telling me how he used to have a desert tortoise that he tethered with a small chain. He seemed really proud of his ingenuity.

I wonder if he would like to have a chain mounted to his butt-cheek?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
That is so sad. If this post can keep even one person from causing that kind of harm to a tort/turtle, job well done. Thanks for all the hard work Yvonne!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I have so many things going trough my mind right now. This is so shocking and inaceptable!!! Poor turtle :(

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I think that should be done to people caught doing this horrible thing to a turtle or tort !

BigBiscuit said:
I was talking to a guy about smiley once, and he was telling me how he used to have a desert tortoise that he tethered with a small chain. He seemed really proud of his ingenuity.

I wonder if he would like to have a chain mounted to his butt-cheek?

Status
Not open for further replies.