TFO's Fourth Anniversary: Arizona Get-Together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
Any updates for us, Neal?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Josh said:
Any updates for us, Neal?

Looks like we will be doing this in November. It will have to be a belated Anniversary get-together. In November we will have better weather, and it should be a better turn out with the other events that are going on. I suggested the 19th of November...12pm if there are no objections?

I am going to look into the possibility of holding the picnic in the front lawn of the Mesa Convention Center where the reptile show will be held that day. If that is not possible, Pioneer Park is one mile west of the convention center, and we can plan on that as a back up. The lawn should be open, it's huge, there is a gazebo...I'll have to look at it again, but I don't remember a lot of seating there though.

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
You may want to double check Pioneer too. I grew up there and went back recently. It was kinda.... ghetto and gross. :S Hopefully they've cleaned it up.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Let's meet at the Expo.

Then go somewhere to eat and talk.

Please don't bring your Torts unless we meet at a private venue.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Sounds good to me. I would not miss the show anyway, so I am kind of excited to have the chance to meet some TFO people at the same time. I will plan on bringing a chair with me, and I'm sure most people will do the same, so seating really shouldn't be an issue. I'll be there wherever the final location ends up being. See you all there!

pliken

5 Year Member
Mesa & Payson, Arizona
November 19th at noon in Mesa - consider this my RSVP. I'll watch this thread for the confirmed location - looking forward to it! Another suggestion for location - I may be able to arrange for us to meet on the terrace or in the meeting room of the Arizona Museum for Natural History, which is about four blocks away from the Mesa Convention Center. Neal, let me know if the front lawn of the Convention Center is not available - I still think that sounds best.

Paula

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It's really up to the individual, as long as they understand that no one else but themselves is responsible or liable in the event of theft or lost tortoises. I can see it working for smaller tortoises that can be kept in a tub or something, but for bigger tortoises, I'm not sure what we could bring to coral them in. The parks in the area are all open fields.

If we end up meeting at the Natural History Museum, I'm going to assume that we would not be allowed to bring live tortoises inside.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
laramie said:
pliken said:
November 19th at noon in Mesa - consider this my RSVP.

Mine too! I am totally there. So, can we bring our torts?

I don't think anyone is going to tell you to NOT bring your torts, but if you are planning to go to the reptile show they won't let you take them in there, so you would need to make sure you have a plan for that.

I'm sure everyone there would only bring healthy torts, but I am always reluctant to have my animals around other reptiles just because there is always a chance of passing something between them. It is kind of the same thing as adding a new animal to your collection without quarantining it. MOST of the time there will be no problem at all, but there is always some risk.

With that being said, I would love to see any torts that anyone brings!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Update - we drove by the convention center and pioneer park this evening. The convention center has a large lawn and a big...gazeebo type thing with shade. The down side is there is no seating or tables. I have a ton of those collapsible picnic tables and if we all bring some chairs it would work out. It is not as crowded as pioneer park would be, we would likely have the whole area to ourselves. I'll check with Mesa parks and rec. to see if we can actually do it there.

Pioneer Park is large enough for all of us. It has the seating and lots of shade. It also has a few playgrounds. I'll be bringing my daughter, so that's a plus.

Let me know what you think.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
The park would be nice for people bringing young kids, but the convention center would be more convenient for people going to the reptile show. I don't think seating is a big issue if people know ahead of time to bring their own chairs. I really don't think it matters either way. We just need a leader (Neal) to tell us where to go! :D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Well, my vote's the convention center if we can. I'll check up on it this week.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Neal:

Today is the first time I've seen the link for your website. The site looks pretty good.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
emysemys said:
Neal:

Today is the first time I've seen the link for your website. The site looks pretty good.

Thank you Yvonne!

pliken

5 Year Member
Mesa & Payson, Arizona
Neal said:
Well, my vote's the convention center if we can. I'll check up on it this week.

Hi Neal,

Did you have any luck getting ahold of someone? I used to work for the City of Mesa, but they have re-organized since then, and I am not sure which department would be in charge of that area - Parks & Rec? Facilities Rental? Grounds? However, I still have some contacts so I can do a little detective work if you need me.

Paula

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
emysemys said:
Neal:

I agree with Yvonne, I really like your website Neal:)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I had to schedule a portion of the CPA exam on the 19th, it was the only day I could do it. So, I'm not going to be able to attend, I could still help out in any way. I don't think the date should change...with the TTPG conference and the reptile expo it's going to be the best weekend to do it I think. I may be able to stop by for a few minutes, but that would be it.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Well, the reptile expo is the 19th & 20th, so we could always move it just one day to Sunday the 20th? Not sure if that would make much difference to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.