Thank you all for everything :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Hey, long time no see! I'm sorry for not being too active the last few years, but as it turns out, you get a little more busy after junior high :p

I've been trying to finish (and stop procrastinating) my college applications that are due in a few days, and needless to say, some of the short answer questions about the people and experiences that have most impacted my life have sent me about 5 years, 9 months, and 6 days down memory lane.

Undeniably, tortoises, and later reptiles as a whole, have become a very large part of my life, and most definitely, my future. Since I picked up Curtis, my sulcata, 5 and a half years ago, 8 more critters have found their way into my life, whether it be through months of research and pining, or months of research and coincidental surprise rehomings. I became a moderator on an (at the time) active reptile forum, and even recently have begun raising and selling mourning gecko hatchlings.

I have come to doubt that, if I had not decided to search "tortoise" in the app store of my ipad mini and download a cute little app called "tortoise forum", there is almost no way my interest in reptiles and other exotics would have developed to such a degree. In fact, I'm not even convinced that Curtis would have survived his first year with me if I did not decide to make a post asking for opinions on his hatchling enclosure.

It is hard to believe that I was 12 years old and fresh out of elementary school when I met most of you, and I'm about to graduate from highschool. Heck, in four days, I'll be an adult. This site and the people that frequent it have shaped my future, and probably who I am as a person. I've picked up so much information, developed so many skills, and learned so much about the world of animal keeping and even just socialization. I'm not sure if I could have picked a better intro to, technically, social media, lol.

Although my activity here fluctuates drastically and I may be gone for months, almost years, at a time, I still think about you guys a lot, and consider some of you close to family. I know that I will always be back eventually. Thank you guys for being so awesome, because I have no Idea where me or Curtis would be without you :)
curtis.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Macy, it's SO good to hear from you!

You spoke of college...what are you majoring in? I suspect it may have to do with reptiles...???

I joined the forum about 1.5 years after you did, and I remember being delighted with a 13 year old who was so bright, engaging, and just plain fun to communicate with, even though it took a couple months to discover you're a girl! ?

Please drop by and tell us how you are as often as you're able. I want to hear about your accomplishments...you are going to have an impact wherever you go and whatever you do.

I used to be part of an all female fireworks display crew, and we had a phrase that I bestow upon you...

EXCELLENCE...POWERED BY ESTROGEN!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Nice Post and even if your visits are rare you do respond with fun lines. I agree with your comments and have also benefited from the forum. Even during covid lockdown when it was tough, this was a place to connect! Good luck with studies and your next learning path.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad to see you didn't leave for good. Can't believe how many years have gone by.
Curtis looks great.
Keep up the good work and good luck in your next chapter.
Happy Birthday in 4 days and stop in when you can.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Glad to hear that you are doing well! Keep us posted on your endeavors.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Happy birthday and congratulations on becoming an adult (it's not all it's cracked up to be! ;))
I wish you happiness and all good things for your future.
This forum has been invaluable to me too and I hope that you do still pop in to TFO when you can.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Macy, it's SO good to hear from you!

You spoke of college...what are you majoring in? I suspect it may have to do with reptiles...???

I joined the forum about 1.5 years after you did, and I remember being delighted with a 13 year old who was so bright, engaging, and just plain fun to communicate with, even though it took a couple months to discover you're a girl! ?

Please drop by and tell us how you are as often as you're able. I want to hear about your accomplishments...you are going to have an impact wherever you go and whatever you do.

I used to be part of an all female fireworks display crew, and we had a phrase that I bestow upon you...

EXCELLENCE...POWERED BY ESTROGEN!
I hope to major in either Zoology or computer science! I know, those are pretty darn different, but I really cant choose! I suppose computer science could be related if you consider Python...
Believe it or not, the gender confusion goes pretty far past the forum. I play a lot of video games, and even when I take the opportunity to use voice chats, I'm usually mistaken for a prepubescent boy with a high voice until I say otherwise, lol!
Thank you :)

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I have friends that do both and enjoy both the hard part is for you to decide. Although thanks to technology you can now remote repair/recode from the beach!

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Cyprus EU
I havent been active on this forum for a few months now and thats about how I feel as well. Glad to see your torts are doing well. Thanks for sharing!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
And, if that's a current picture of Curtis, I'm thinkin' 'he' is a 'she'!!
I'm curious why you think that. Is it the meticulously maintained shell? Or the sexy leg positions? Or perhaps the "come hither" look on the face? Or the large, shiny guard scales adorning the shapely gambs?

Please, do tell!l