Thank you for the warm Welcome.

Nisi

Location (City and/or State)
New York
My name is Denise and we adopted a Leopard Tortoise hatchling on Friday this is our second tortoise. Our Hatchling we adopted in December passed away in June. Not really sure what happened but after talking to other Tortoise experts seems we didn't have the right set up for one and in the end not to sure what happened to our little guy. Thank you to this forum and everyone's post of great information, we found a new tortoise and my Son is very happy. I am looking for all the advice I can get to make sure that our new Juggalo lives a great life and we do what is best for him. Please feel free to give your option and let us know if we are doing anything wrong. IMG_2008.JPG

Nisi

New York
Welcome to the Forum, Denise!

Your habitat is too open and too dry. Please read:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/

...and make some changes to your baby's care.

Also, a few plants, real or fake, will help him feel more secure.

Thank you for your advice. The link you sent keeps talking about Sulcata Tortoise, but the header says leopard as well.. I was worried about plants if he eat them. i just made this on Sunday. What plants would your recommend? I was instructed to mist every couple days the side where is house is. to open you mean his space or the top? Sorry don't mean to ask stupid question just trying to make sure we do everything right. Also is there a gage that i should be using to keep track of the humidity?

Nisi

New York
Welcome!
There are no stupid questions. It would only be stupid to not ask.
most every home improvement store sells a digital thermometer and humidity gauge for about $10.

What should the humidity be at and by looking at his cage what part should be misted? all or sections. I have learned in the past 2 weeks that their is so many different ways people set up their enclosures. I just want to make sure we are doing this right.

John Franzwa

Welcome to the forum, can we see a pic of your tort :D maybe a stone or harder plate/dish to help file down nails and beak would be beneficial!

John Franzwa

My name is Denise and we adopted a Leopard Tortoise hatchling on Friday this is our second tortoise. Our Hatchling we adopted in December passed away in June. Not really sure what happened but after talking to other Tortoise experts seems we didn't have the right set up for one and in the end not to sure what happened to our little guy. Thank you to this forum and everyone's post of great information, we found a new tortoise and my Son is very happy. I am looking for all the advice I can get to make sure that our new Juggalo lives a great life and we do what is best for him. Please feel free to give your option and let us know if we are doing anything wrong. View attachment 180061

Do you have uvb?

Nisi

New York
he has a zoo med 100w heat bulb. and a red heat bulb for at night

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
You could build a pvc frame and cover it with a shower curtain liner.
I used an old book shelf and bought a green house cover. It holds the humidity great.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468346815.330702.jpg
You want the enclosure to feel like a warm sauna when you open it.
I pour a bunch of water in and stir it all up and pack it down about once a week.

Once you get him all set up it won't seem so overwhelming.

For outdoor sun with shade you can use a kiddie pool to start with since he's so tiny.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468346792.117726.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:) A gorgeous tort, GOD bless.

If the climate is dry back there, I would spray the enclosure each and every day with water so as to avoid dehydration and pyramiding. :tort:

Personally I would not recommend an enclosure made of glass: torts do not seem to understand what glass is. Therefore they'd keep struggling to get out and this would cause stress, GOD forbid.;)

Have you given your cutie a name yet?:D

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That little piece of glass will be just fine. I've a raised a few of mine in glass with zero issues, people also keep water turtles in glass tanks everyday. They figure out pretty quick that's a barrier. This most important thing is to make a cover to keep the heat and humidity inside the enclosure. This is a really good quote from @Tom who wrote the care sheets about glass enclosures.

"I've have read that tidbit in many care sheets for many years, but no, its not true. I started keeping Chelonians in 1979. It became my paid profession to care for them in 1986 and still is through today. I have been keeping turtles and tortoises in glass boxes of one sort or another for all that time. Many lizard species too. Never had one issue with it. Same story from several other long term keepers here.

Aquariums, terrariums and vivariums (all synonyms in my view…) are actually better for tortoises for the very reasons "they" say they are bad. "Reduced air flow". Great! Now we won't lose our precious heat and humidity as fast. "The tall sides can make them overheat." First of all, we are all supposed to be watching our temps regardless of the wall height of our enclosure. Second if taller walls hold in more heat, that is great! We will need to burn less electricity to maintain the correct temps and the environment will be a little more stable. "Tortoises don't understand glass and it stresses them out". All of the hundreds upon hundreds of reptiles I have kept behind glass "understood" it just fine, were not stressed, thrived in my care, and grew up to be healthy, happy reptiles.

Food for thought"

Nisi

New York
Trying to find a soil for under the coco coir what do I buy?