Thank you for the warm Welcome.

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Back to the glass...

I can see tortoises having an issue with transparent glass. They are bulldozers...

...and, as I have always read...on this forum...if they can see that there is somewhere to go...they will want to go there...hence all the advice about outdoor fencing that they also can't see through.

Doesn't mean you can't use a glass enclosure. I lined ours with plywood. Or you can put aquarium paper around the outside in some useful configuration.

So if glass might be more stressful. ..why chance it when the fix is so simple?

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
i agree with rue im not a fan of glass enclosures, usually stresses them out and the noise from they running into it isnt pleasant.

if you look at the enclosure threads there are some awesome ideas!

welcome and your new tort is adorable! so sorry to hear about your last one

Reactions: Rue

Nisi

New York
Thanks everything is wood just besides the little glass piece in the front. So far so good no issues. What I am trying to find is a soil to mix with his coco coir ? I don't have dirt that I can dig a hole and use do to we have our grass treated. Any suggestions ?

Rue

Canada
I wouldn't use soil. I would try peat moss. But if you really want soil I believe there are organic potting mixes around that don't have all the various additives in it.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Use the coir on bottom, wet it down and hand pack it, then on top use repti-bark or small orchid bark.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
It's made of Fir trees. It's works great. I used it for my Sulcata when it was a hatchling, one of my leopards and my current leopard hatchling is using it.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468888252.770371.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468888326.853999.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Thanks! all fake plants. If the little one isn't eating, he's hiding in the one behind the hide. This little leopard I have eats about three bowls of food a day. My Sulcata and my larger leopard never ate that much..

I can't find Orchid bark around here but I can get that large bag of repti-bark on Amazon for $15.00 that's about what it would cost me to order a small bag of Orchid bark and have it shipped. I have about 4-5 inches of coir under the bark. I can go several days without adding water and keep very high humidity.