Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danduc

5 Year Member
I would like to thank everyone who offered advice for my red-foot who finally layed her 5 calcified egg this week. She needed 2 Oxytocin treatment at the vet and all went well. Even tought the veterinarian clinic is not specialized in exotic pet, they were most helpful. I went to the "Clinique vétérinaire Taché" in Gatineau, Québec.

I will post shortly on this tread the X-rays, the treatment (dosage, etc) and a few photos of my turtoise. BTW, anybody can guess what is her age? We bought her when I was a teen in 1976. She looked almost full grown at the time (11 inches). I read that they attain there max. growth at about 15 years old. Is it possible that she is over 50??

danduc

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Perhaps...very close to it. I'm glad she's ok.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Not over 50...11 inches is somewhere around 6-7 inches usually, assuming she was healthy at the time? It could also be 10 years if she wasn't fed properly. Either way, she's under 50...Probably 40-45ish.
Congrats on the success though :). Glad she's ok...

danduc

5 Year Member
Here are the photos: 2 in 1976 (I'm the guy in blue LOL ), 2 X-Rays, the substrate I got last minute that work liked a charm (and cheap too) and a few of the turtoise.

She had 2 treatment 1 week apart (She layed 4 eggs the first time and the last one today).

Dosage:
Calcium Gluconate 1,5 ml (0,5 mL/kg) X 1
Oxytocine 20 ui/kg (15 ui/kg) X 2 (1 hour apart)

X-Rayegg13Feb2013-01_zpsc072d53a.jpg

X-Rayegg17Feb2013-01_zpsc0904dd0.jpg

DSCN3719_zps94d1fc8c.jpg

DSCN3720_zps39baee3f.jpg

X-Rayegg17Feb2013-01_zpsefc3a244.jpg

1976Juin43desFlandres-01_zps7e148f67.jpg

1976juinAgrippine_zps4b78a887.jpg

DSCN3738_zps0c1062fd.jpg

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
From those pictures, she looks pretty healthy, aside from slight pyramiding. No evident MBD, so her growth rate was probably not hindered greatly. However, she could have had it in the past...I would goes her age around 7-8 when you got her. So she is probably around 45...A very old tort :).

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Are those the only eggs she ever layed? Did the vet think they were too large to pass or were they just difficult because they had calcified?

danduc

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
From those pictures, she looks pretty healthy, aside from slight pyramiding. No evident MBD, so her growth rate was probably not hindered greatly. However, she could have had it in the past...I would goes her age around 7-8 when you got her. So she is probably around 45...A very old tort :).

Shen has been kept inside all those year. From mid-April to late September, we put her outside for 2-3 hours a day on sunny days. She has a 30"X 4" enclosure. Winter time we reduce her food intake slightly because her metabolism slows down a bit (colder weather?). We never had any medical issue until this week. We vary a lot her food choice. Always fresh water daily.

danduc

5 Year Member
DesertGrandma said:
Are those the only eggs she ever layed? Did the vet think they were too large to pass or were they just difficult because they had calcified?

Back in 2005 she had 4 other that she passed. For the last 3 weeks she was still eating but would not go #2 so I suspected something was wrong. Then she started to scratch her enclosure with her back leg (first time-not in 2005). I immediately knew why. I let her do it for about a week and then went to the vet for an X-Ray. I tought also that the shape of the egg was not normal (too oblong?). I kept the eggs and one broke - I was really surprised because I tought there were very thick but they were basically the same thickness as a chicken egg. The white and the yolk looked fine to me.

RedfootsRule said:
You mean 30x4 FEET, not inches, right?

' not ". Yes, feet;)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
danduc said:
DesertGrandma said:

Back in 2005 she had 4 other that she passed. For the last 3 weeks she was still eating but would not go #2 so I suspected something was wrong. Then she started to scratch her enclosure with her back leg (first time-not in 2005). I immediately knew why. I let her do it for about a week and then went to the vet for an X-Ray. I tought also that the shape of the egg was not normal (too oblong?). I kept the eggs and one broke - I was really surprised because I tought there were very thick but they were basically the same thickness as a chicken egg. The white and the yolk looked fine to me.

I didn't know that a female would just lay eggs once or twice in 50 years.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
If you don't mind my asking, what are you feeding? And do you supplement with calcium, or use cuttlebone, or any sort of supplement?

danduc

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
If you don't mind my asking, what are you feeding? And do you supplement with calcium, or use cuttlebone, or any sort of supplement?

Supplement once a week (reptocal/reptolife Plus) sprinkled on moist food.
Food: Dandelion, Aragula, strawberries, Rasberry, endive, banana (as a treat), mango, apple, all type of salad (except Iceberg), mushroom, sometime catfood (once a month or so), Dry bread (i know its not supposed to be good for them), hibiscus flower, watermelon, cantaloup, ZooMed Forest Turtoise Food, cooked carrot and peas and in the summer time anything she please to eat in her enclosure (clover, grass, etc). Theres more but i do not remember.

danduc said:
RedfootsRule said:

Supplement once a week (reptocal/reptolife Plus) sprinkled on moist food.
Food: Dandelion, Aragula, strawberries, Rasberry, endive, banana (as a treat), mango, apple, all type of salad (except Iceberg), mushroom, sometime catfood (once a month or so), Dry bread (i know its not supposed to be good for them), hibiscus flower, watermelon, cantaloup, ZooMed Forest Turtoise Food, cooked carrot and peas and in the summer time anything she please to eat in her enclosure (clover, grass, etc). Theres more but i do not remember.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I would gave her a bin with deep soil to have access to to dig in.. although I guess that worked?
she looks good...

danduc

5 Year Member
Laura said:
I would gave her a bin with deep soil to have access to to dig in.. although I guess that worked?
she looks good...

I didn't think about the bin. Just bought a topsoil bag, open it and put the turtoise on it. She started digging almost immediately.:D

I did use mineral oil to help her pass the eggs. I did pinch her tail for the first 2 to help her pass them. No sweat. The other came out without assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.