Thank you!!!

Roo Bot

Location (City and/or State)
Portland, Oregon
Thank you!!!

My crash course in tortoise husbandry has been slightly less bumpy because of this forum. (We found a 'stray' Russian tortoise who isn't doing the best.)

I feel like soaking her with carrot puree in the water (I have more time than money, so pretty much made DIY baby food) has really helped! And it isn't something that the vet suggested- Most of the time, she kind of looks dead, but after soaking she perks up a lot. I'm soaking her in the heated mixture twice a day and she seems to tolerate if not enjoy it. I think she might have eaten last night and hope to get her outside in the yard to graze this weekend. (She's on baytril, so I'm guessing that has something to do with her not wanting to eat much or move around, but 2 more doses and we are done!)

I'm super excited to build her an outdoor pen with a leprechaun house. I never really thought I would get attached to a tortoise and had planned on nursing her to health and finding her a new home, but I'm pretty attached....

beaulahsoup.jpg

So, thanks again! And keep fingers crossed for her full recovery!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good luck! Make sure you keep her a bit warmer than usually needed for Russians. Use a black 60w bulb at night over one end (Fred Meyer has them, also great prices at Sunlan lighting on Mississippi), if your house is <70f. Of course, basking side 95f.
Also, good substrate that holds moisture underneath is important (organic topsoil alone or with coir). I like the ACE brand topsoil.
Once she is healthy, you won't need night heat.

You're right, off of the Baytril , she will feel better; it might take a few days.
I'm glad you are soaking her twice per day right now. A tortoise's biggest enemy is dehydration and/or being wet and cold.
You can also use canned (unsweetened) pumpkin, a couple of good scoops in the soaking water.

Today is going to be 80f in the afternoon, a great day to put her outside for an hour of sun. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The reason I use Gerber strained carrots instead of other flavors is that the carrots has the highest vitamin A content. Adding strained carrots or liquid bird vitamins to the water is so that the tortoise can absorb some vitamins to help them get past a period of non-eating.

Roo Bot

Portland, Oregon
My parrot can be prone to vitamin A shortage, so I usually have some sort of carrot puree (or supplies) on hand.

The good news: my sweet Beaulah seems to be doing a LOT better!

I'm still soaking her twice a day, but twice of the past six soaks, she has tried to escape the soaking tub. She's been a lot more active too! She seems to stay in areas that are about 85 degrees most of the time. I was using a black light for heat until she seems well, taking her in the sun when it is warm and I am not at work (probably 5-10 hours a week depending on weather) and using the window and overhead bathroom light for day time.

We weren't planning on getting a tortoise, so converted a broken bathtub into a temporary tortoise pen. We lined the tub with really thick plastic and put in two bricks of coconut coir. I mist it several times a day. I'm thinking I should add a hiding spot (humid maybe?). She's really large, so needs a fair amount of space. I think her shell is over 8 inches long, but I haven't measured.

I read that radicchio was especially tempting to tortoises and this definitely proved true with my girl. When I offered her some on Sunday, she tore it up. I've been mixing sliced radicchio to sliced greens from the yard and salad bag. I've been sprouting various other greens for my parrots and finches, so will just start growing more for tortoise too. After eating four meals (I don't know how much she should eat, but would guess she's eaten 3/4 cup a day?) she had her first bowel movement in at least 3 weeks.

I don't think she would be in as good of a spot without this forum. I appreciate all the suggestions and support!!! And its also pretty cool that so many tortoise people from this forum seem to live close by. : )

If the past week is any indication, she is well on her way back to good health.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That's great news. Make sure she has a basking area of 95f, even if she chooses not to use it. That may mean two light sources (black bulb for night heat around 70f, on during the day also if needed, and a plain 100w basking bulb added during the day over a tile or piece of slate).

You have done a wonderful job.

A couple of helpful links:
A good supplement made of ground up weeds, helps provide calcium. Get the version with probiotics.
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=58

Edible plants
http://russiantortoise.net/edible_plants.htm

Roo Bot

Portland, Oregon
Awesome!

Basking spot stays around 95. She tends to plop down in its periphery where its about 85. The rest of the tub is 75 or warmer. The good part of having her in a tiny bathroom is that the light keeps the tiny room pretty warm. I need to get a piece of slate, but haven't had time. I don't have a car and haven't had time for a bus-adventure before or after work. I think it is on the agenda tomorrow or Saturday. : )

If you were me, would you get the small or large package of weed supplement? How often and how much do you feed? Do you just sprinkle it in with the other greens? I have a ground oyster shell powder supplement that I occasionally use on the finch seeds- would this be a good occasional sprinkle for Beaulah? (A house full of herbivores is almost as easy as half a house full... I think they all benefit from needing/liking variable greens.)

I've already perused the plant list and hope to use some of those plants in some areas of the yard that need a lot of help. (It motivates me in two ways instead of just hideous yard, Beaulah can feast!) (We take our puppies to a nursing home and there is a very adorable woman we've never met before who randomly asks for back scratches. Her name is Beaulah and I pretty much love her.)

Thank you for all your help!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sounds like temps are fine.
Get the 4 oz bag is TNT.
Keep in fridge.
I put some in a salt shaker and dust it very lightly over the greens. You can use it daily, because it is just weeds.