THANKS for adding me first time Sulcata owner Fla

LostInTheBoonies

Location (City and/or State)
Tarpon Springs Florida
Hello from Tarpon Springs Florida. I am a 100 ton Master Captain and certified Florida Master Naturalist . I work on a Dolphin tour boat and I teach people about Fla nature every day. I had searched rescues for months With no luck. I purchased my 4.5 month old Sulcata at the Tampa Repticon show. I have raised Tortoises as a kid and have extensive knowledge of Gopher and Fla tortoises. Myrna baby will eventually go to my nephew who is a Doctor so he will provide care for remainder of life once I am gone. Great info here on the forum and appreciate the add

96E2C863-7211-4EA2-A1D0-007A985E2575.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome!

Your first obstacle to over come is realizing that most of the Sulcata info out there is a repeat of the same old wrong stuff that has been circulating for decades. We've been doing it wrong for decades and most of the tortoise world hasn't kept up.

Here is the right info all in one place:

Questions and conversation are welcome.

LostInTheBoonies

Tarpon Springs Florida
Hello and welcome!

Your first obstacle to over come is realizing that most of the Sulcata info out there is a repeat of the same old wrong stuff that has been circulating for decades. We've been doing it wrong for decades and most of the tortoise world hasn't kept up.

Thanks for all the great information. The plants list and grass as forage are great info. If you know a reputable captive breeder please dm me So far forums have answered every question. Thanks again

LostInTheBoonies

Tarpon Springs Florida
It depends on type of material used in construction size n weight of engines etc. (I prefer not driving any boat including my own and prefer givin the nature tour). The Master 100 ton license is a more advanced-level license than the OUPV. It does not have the limitstion on the number of paying passengers, and it allows the holder to operate both inspected and uninspected vessels. It also means I can operate a vessel up to 100 tons

LostInTheBoonies

Tarpon Springs Florida
Hello and welcome. I’ll look you up when we go to FL for Dolphin tour.. Welcome.
Look up my tour on trip advisor and read our reviews. Odyssey Cruises in Tarpon Springs Florida. You will see my name in the reviews. We give you a two hour tour along a river and out to a barrier island. You get off the boat to visit a beautiful beach for half hour. The tour is narrated mostly by me. Teach you about nature wildlife ecosystem history. We leave from the historic sponge docks in tarpon springs( north side of Tampa ) It was a Sulcata owner who was on my boat last year that motivated me to look for a rescue and to ultimately buying my Sulcata baby. Btw I named my baby Rick if it is make or Rickey if it is female. That way when I am dead and buried my nephew and his children will always think of me and talk about me( my name is Rick ) If you or any other Tortoise fans are near please introduce yourselves. We have great gopher tortoise all over Florida

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Look up my tour on trip advisor and read our reviews. Odyssey Cruises in Tarpon Springs Florida. You will see my name in the reviews. We give you a two hour tour along a river and out to a barrier island. You get off the boat to visit a beautiful beach for half hour. The tour is narrated mostly by me. Teach you about nature wildlife ecosystem history. We leave from the historic sponge docks in tarpon springs( north side of Tampa ) It was a Sulcata owner who was on my boat last year that motivated me to look for a rescue and to ultimately buying my Sulcata baby. Btw I named my baby Rick if it is make or Rickey if it is female. That way when I am dead and buried my nephew and his children will always think of me and talk about me( my name is Rick ) If you or any other Tortoise fans are near please introduce yourselves. We have great gopher tortoise all over Florida
Okay Rick. You got it! We may come to FL later this year or early next year. Thank you for the info.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes. A wild gopher is how I realized that, as a child I really had ALWAYS wanted a tortoise. Not a water turtle. I now have a tortoise. He's just a little 1 ton vehicle. He's a little Russian. All I can say is have tons of fun!