Thanksgiving plans or Traditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
We used to do Big family gatherings at a house on the coast, then it came to our house, and we alternated between houses.. granparents etc. But we were ALWAYS together.. Then we grew up, got married and did a lot of Holiday Driving between homes! Its changed over the years.. Losing mom, dad remarried.. I liked it the way it was.. but this year.. I will be with 2 of my sisters and family.. up at a cabin in Trinity. :) Taking the dogs, so hoping for DRY weather and no mud!
Happy Holidays to all where ever you are and whomever you are with!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Both my kids are married and have started their own traditions. My daughter, who lives only a half mile away from me, always invites me for Thanksgiving, but I just LOVE the way a cooking turkey makes the house smell, so I always decline. I usually have turkey dinner all by myself (oh poor me...NOT!!) But then, I can pick at the food all day long and eat with my fingers, and best of all, sleep when the tryptofan hits the fan!!

Yvonne

A

Amy

I am half asian half white- so thanksgiving day will be spent with my white family and my bf's white family (two thanksgiving dinners) eating turkey and all the fixins, then the next day- friday- we have a big asian feast which features lotsa seafood and sushi!!!! YUMMY
It's good to be bi-cultural!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
ahem... mexican family.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The holidays at our house always have been family gatherings, it's just with time the members have changed and the locations too. Once I had a home of my own, then we stopped gathering at my Mom's and instead I got the privilege of pre-company super house cleaning. :p

This year, because of trucking, I asked my oldest if we could use his apartment. Silly boy agreed! Yippee no moving tanks off the big dining room table that we only eat off of at holidays! No figuring how to keep all the cats off the counter, when the turkey fumes are over powering them. :D

Toby was already the one fixing the turkey for us these last several years, because I worked overnights. By the time I could get the turkey done, it made it too late for my sister who always seems to have to go to work on holidays. He took the family traditional way of fixing it and added in fresh sage and rosemary from my beds and has thus started us all on a new tradition. :D

The meal is traditional, but we always try to have one item that is new each year. Before I left home this last time, I took Toby shopping so he had everything he needed for the meal on his end. Josh (the youngest) will be cooking my contributions, if I fail to get home in time. Erin the oldest girl, enjoys doing the celery with cheese. My sister, Pam, is the green bean casseroles, sweet taters with marshmallows, and brings pickles. We all share in the making of the meal and the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.