1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

That funny looking green in so many Asian grocery stores here in the US,

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by Will, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Will

Will Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    South of Southern California, but not Mexico
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipomoea_aquatica

http://www.feedipedia.org/node/136

Water spinach, Water Morning glory, Hollow shoot water plant, etc has so many names depending on the language of the produce guy at the market. I ate much of this when I traveled in Viet Nam, and at a few wonderful 'Chinese" restaurants in Manhattan's Chinatown.

One dish has a black bean sauce and my mouth waters thinking about it.

@Fredkas asked my about this as a second language speaker. I'm not so good at English sometimes let alone any other language.

The wiki page is available in many languages.

In short Water Spinach is an acceptable food item, it is in the same genus as sweet potato. Sweet potato leaves are okay to feed as well.

This is also the same family as morning glory which the TTT forbids. They are extremely conservative. If anything it is likely high in oxolates, so fed sparingly if you are an oxolate-phob is okayish.

Let the debate and counter -pedia POV begin!!!!
    bouaboua and Fredkas like this.
  2. Linhdan Nguyen

Linhdan Nguyen Well-Known Member

Maryland
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I havent read the link but water spinach is yummy ! My mom managed to plant some & i have a bowl of it in my fridge right now.
    Fredkas and Will like this.
  3. Fredkas

Fredkas Well-Known Member

Yes thank you will.
    It is yummy for me too @Linhdan Nguyen lol.
    But the information about it for tort is not much. My country has the list and it is categorized as good food, but really i can't believe it. I am sorry but my country information is like the conservative vet that we all trying to avoid. To be honest, i just believe what tortoiseforum said.
    So like will said, please throw any comment, debate whatsoever!!!
    The doubtness comes from water spinach has high oxalic acid that people believe will bind the calcium and make it useless for tort.
  4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Clovis, CA
    Hi oxalic content means you should only use it occasionally, like maybe once or twice a week. It doesn't have to be avoided.
    trickspiration and Fredkas like this.
  5. Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
    I haven't fed it to my tortoises either because it is a spinach and i feed even that sparingly.
    So more for me :)
  6. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Jamaica
    In Jamaica we have a plant that is (looks) very much like spinach and it is called "Calaloo". Does anyone know if it is similar to spinach in its content?
  7. bouaboua

bouaboua Well-Known Member TFO Supporter Platinum Supporter

San Jose CA
    I glad that you like this vegetable. It is very common veggie in Asia or now in some of the Asian market here in US. We often cook them with black bean sauce, shrimp paste or fish sauce (in South East Asia), or just chop up garlic. We call them straw "cai" because the stem of this veggie is hollow like straw. In US, Asian market may display the name as "On Cai".

My Mother in-law also grow this in our garden. and we do feed them to my torts maybe once a week.... without any issue.

Here is couple photos that may show you how they would look, in your local Asia (Most likely in Chinese or Vietnamese) market.

aa18972bd40735faf776b5d59d510fb30e2408d3.jpg 0823dd54564e92583a3a04cd9e82d158ccbf4e83.jpg
    Fredkas and Linhdan Nguyen like this.
  8. Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
    I have yet to find them in our asian grocery stores here . But im glad to know its safe for tortoises.
    Fredkas likes this.
  9. MichaelaW

MichaelaW Well-Known Member

Harlingen, TX
    Everything in moderation is my opinion, rather than eliminate an otherwise nutritious food item just because it contains one undesirable nutrient.
    Team Gomberg, Fredkas, TammyJ and 2 others like this.
  10. TerrapinStation

TerrapinStation Well-Known Member

Detroit, Michigan
    I especially love the fruits and veggies we can share with our tortoises (and in my case, rabbit!)

We are lucky to have a gigantic asian market nearby, it is like the Cosco of Asian stuff..... pretty much any of the leafy greens are great stirfried with onion, garlic and oyster sauce.....

I just get sad in the live animal section.... they have all types of critters for sale..... softshell turtle, frogs, fish, crabs.......
    TammyJ and Fredkas like this.
  11. trickspiration

trickspiration Active Member

Southern California (OC)
    I agree. We have broadleaf sorrel in the backyard that Spike goes CRAZY over, but we only let him eat from there once a week or every other week.