That lazy leg pose

TaylorTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Abington
Mango is in straight CHiLL mode right now. You can tell by that back leg being kicked back ?

Attachments

• 2B8798DC-D92B-46A2-87A2-D092253C6774.jpeg
    2B8798DC-D92B-46A2-87A2-D092253C6774.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • BD32740B-6C74-4D15-9121-06FFD52EF40B.jpeg
    BD32740B-6C74-4D15-9121-06FFD52EF40B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • A30D17DB-A2AB-401B-877C-B3881C8AF0FB.jpeg
    A30D17DB-A2AB-401B-877C-B3881C8AF0FB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Such a beautiful tortoise. The colors and patterns are very pleasing to the eye.
Thank you! I had to make some adjustments because he wakes up with bubbles coming out of his nose first thing. Im thinking it’s too cold at night so I added a ceramic heat lamp at night to keep it warm for him. He woke up today near the lamp so that must be the issue.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Typical basking pose. :) Is he a Hermanns?
If so check the temps you need on this caresheet

Are you running the CHE through a thermostat to keep temps even? That is the safest way to make sure he doesn't overheat which is always a danger with CHEs.

TaylorTortoise

Abington

Are you running the CHE through a thermostat to keep temps even? That is the safest way to make sure he doesn't overheat which is always a danger with CHEs.
I have a digital thermometer from home depot that is made for gardens to regulate humidity/heat

TaylorTortoise

Abington

He is a Hermanns.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have a digital thermometer from home depot that is made for gardens to regulate humidity/heat
That's great , they are very good for keeping an eye on temps and humidity when you are there, but it does not control the temps. For your torts safety the CHE should be run through a thermostat which will switch it on and off as needed.
Sadly one of our members recently lost a tort because it over heated under a CHE without one.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
That's great , they are very good for keeping an eye on temps and humidity when you are there, but it does not control the temps. For your torts safety the CHE should be run through a thermostat which will switch it on and off as needed.
Sadly one of our members recently lost a tort because it over heated under a CHE without one.
Temp stays around 95-100 right under the basking light and it goes down to 80-85 on cool side

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
A digital thermometer wouldn't tell you accurate temps for that night CHE?
It tells you the temperature at a particular time but it doesn't control the heat.
You set a thermostat at the required temp and it will switch the CHE off when it reaches that temp and back on when it falls.
I can't stress enough how much safer it would be for your tort if you ran it through a thermostat, but it's up to you if you want to risk it. Just remember torts have died from overheating especially younger ones.

Jiriza92

Orlando FL
It tells you the temperature at a particular time but it doesn't control the heat.
You set a thermostat at the required temp and it will switch the CHE off when it reaches that temp and back on when it falls.
I can't stress enough how much safer it would be for your tort if you ran it through a thermostat, but it's up to you if you want to risk it. Just remember torts have died from overheating especially younger ones.
Sorry to barge in, but I am still a bit confused...or maybe just unintelligent >.<

But to my understanding, the CHE goes up to a certain temperature. So if the heat lamp is on a stand high enough to emit a high of 95 degrees f, would'nt that keep the CHE at a consistent temperature? Or am I completely unaware of how a CHE works..??

Jiriza92

Orlando FL
Oy, I guess I was unaware on how the CHE works as the temperature went up about 10 degrees...so definitely see the reason for a thermastat..

TaylorTortoise

Abington
What type of thermastat would I set up? And how?