That new new ( new owner new tank )

Status
Not open for further replies.

haidao88

5 Year Member
Hello everyone I'm a new red footed tortoise owner and peach is a year old, I got her a month ago. I live in Sacramento ca. I plan on keepin her inside as log as possible.

Here is my question, is my tank good for her or am I in need of adjustments? Also how often do I change the bulbs ( info on bulbs below)?

I use cypress mulch the tank is 4ft by 2 by 2 ( sorry thought it was five in my other previous posts) plants are fake, but I do have millet milo seeds growing, shades and two hides( with forest moss) my log is a cover over her water dish,there is a humidifier I bought at Walgreens n attached a hose, basking area of 90-95, with an ambient area of 75-80. Theres one black light heat lamp one UVB bulb n one basking lamp.

Thanks in advances everyone
ImageUploadedByTortForum1368126054.780471.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1368126197.015255.jpg

My tortoise Peach hates apples

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would remove the log from the water dish so she can get in and out easier. Also, your aren't using a coil bulb, right? If so, get rid of it. Make sure the humidity is high, but the substrate isn't always wet. RF gets shell rot easy. Looks good.

haidao88

5 Year Member
I have a UVB bulb that kinda looks like the energy efficient bulbs that look like this ImageUploadedByTortForum1368147686.748670.jpg, other than that the humidity is around 80...

The log only hovers over the water dish creating a tunnel like with a water duh under , so the log only touches the rims of the dish n she comes n goes easily with a raised step on both sides

Last edited by a moderator:

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
The coil bulb you are using is not good for their eyes. I would suggest replacing it. For nighttime heat i use a ceramic heat emitter. It doesn't give off any light. They need to sleep in the dark too...go to tortoiselibrary.com there is lots of good info.

haidao88

5 Year Member
Which type of UVB bulb is good? I will definitely switch it out tomorrow morning before work

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Also,
I saw your post in my other thread, I'll respond here. I try to get my tortoises outside for a minimum of 30 minutes/day. It rarely happens every day due to scheduling and weather, but sometimes we go outside for 2 hours or more on one day (so it still plays out on the 30 min/day average). Mine are 1-2 years old, so they are also small. This means they have a large surface area to volume ratio, which means they can overheat or cool down quickly. To deal with this, I provide them an area outside that has both shade full sun. They can choose where they'd like to go. I also bring a spray bottle full of water and mist them down when they are in the full sunlight.

The benefits of outdoor time are enormous but to name a few: UVB light exposure and subsequent Vitamin D3 synthesis, exercise, stimulation, and tasty weeds to munch on (dandelion greens, plantago species, clovers, violets, wild grapes, grass species, etc.). Once mine are sub-adults/adults and I have a house (or whichever comes first) they will be outside 24/7, weather and temperatures permitting!

haidao88

5 Year Member
Okay yea because I do want to keep them indoors forever but I rather have them healthy than my own interest in mind so I Alrdy planning an area for my tortoise outdoor

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
haidao88 said:
Okay yea because I do want to keep them indoors forever but I rather have them healthy than my own interest in mind so I Alrdy planning an area for my tortoise outdoor

I'm not telling you how to do things, I'm just making suggestions :). I feel confident saying that 99.9% of the members on here are firm advocates of outdoor tortoises, weather and season permitting. I outlined a few of the reasons previously. Something you may want to consider in the long-term :cool:.

haidao88

5 Year Member
Yes I have seen that although my interest is for her indoors, but her health interests are more important to me, so I will put her outdoor as soon as I have the setup and maybe when she grows a bit more, next summer maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.