"The Art of Keeping Snakes" by Philippe de Vosjoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
"The Art of Keeping Snakes" by Philippe de Vosjoli, The Herpetocultural Library. Advanced Vivarium Systems, 2004. 232 pages with several color photos. $16.95

Why would a book on keeping snakes be of interest to tortoise people? The main gist of the book is keeping animals in beautiful, naturalistic conditions- conditions that better replicate nature and that encourage natural behaviors. Many of the lessons applied to snakes can apply to tortoises as well.

For example, some chapters that apply to most herps include:
- Before You Buy
- Quarantine and Introduction to Vivaria
- Life Stages and Husbandry
- and more.

The big things I like about this book, though, are the bioactive substrate, a great section on plants in the vivarium, and good sections on light, heat, and humidity.

Philippe addresses the mechanics of running a vivarium here more so than how to care for snakes, and he offers many ideas that can be used as is or with a little adaptation for tortoise keepers. OK, the second half of the book is snakes and their cares in a condensed version, but the first half of the book is well worth looking for a used copy (I scored mine for almost free on www.paperbackswap.com after having it on my wishlist for almost a year.)

Having said that, I DO wish that there was even more technical stuff here. I think the hobby is ready for a really good book on the mechanics of habitats, vivaria, etc.- 'how to' do heat, light, fresh air, humidity, drainage, construction, adhesives, live plants, etc.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
That's OK (but a bit sad), but the point is that there is a lot of information in there that applies to tortoises kept indoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.