The babies have arrived... But what do I do now?

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa
The babies have finally started hatching (3 are out now, 2 left - out of the 9 or so, most seems to have been empty, they became brown, or I might have messed up somewhere during incubation?), they are cute as can be! However, now I have a problem, there are no resources on how to take care of these babies (I've been following beaded dragon care mostly with these lizards), but unlike bearded dragons, these lizards are semi social (they live in colonies, from what I've been able to find out), do i put them in the same tank as their parents (they're currently in their own tank, setup with heating and UVB), or do I keep them as is for the time-being? I'm just scared they might eat them lol, or be too rough when running around and hurt them... And also, when should I expect them to start eating? I'm providing them with very small insects (pinhead dubia roaches, and some of the overpopulating cleaner crew worms from my dubia roach colony, was not sure if it was a good idea, but thought giving them a variety might make them eat sooner) in a feeding bowl in their enclosure, hoping they'd take some whenever hungry (since I don't think they'll be likely to eat off of the feeding tongs yet). I also added a little lettuce leaf in their enclosure in case they might want to try something green (if they do take a bite I'll get them grass and other veggies as well), but I've never gotten my adult agamas to eat any greens, so not sure if the babies will either. They've been out of egg for about 1 day now, when can I expect them to start eating? They also have a water bowl (not deep enough to drown, so no worries). They are generally active, which is usually a good sign, and the baby male is already bobbing its head (very cute!)

TL:DR. When should I expect them to start eating? What should I be feeding them? Should I house them with their parents?

Attachments

• photo_2023-01-23_10-39-11.jpg
    photo_2023-01-23_10-39-11.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo_2023-01-23_10-39-21.jpg
    photo_2023-01-23_10-39-21.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 4

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
So cute.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The babies have finally started hatching (3 are out now, 2 left - out of the 9 or so, most seems to have been empty, they became brown, or I might have messed up somewhere during incubation?), they are cute as can be! However, now I have a problem, there are no resources on how to take care of these babies (I've been following beaded dragon care mostly with these lizards), but unlike bearded dragons, these lizards are semi social (they live in colonies, from what I've been able to find out), do i put them in the same tank as their parents (they're currently in their own tank, setup with heating and UVB), or do I keep them as is for the time-being? I'm just scared they might eat them lol, or be too rough when running around and hurt them... And also, when should I expect them to start eating? I'm providing them with very small insects (pinhead dubia roaches, and some of the overpopulating cleaner crew worms from my dubia roach colony, was not sure if it was a good idea, but thought giving them a variety might make them eat sooner) in a feeding bowl in their enclosure, hoping they'd take some whenever hungry (since I don't think they'll be likely to eat off of the feeding tongs yet). I also added a little lettuce leaf in their enclosure in case they might want to try something green (if they do take a bite I'll get them grass and other veggies as well), but I've never gotten my adult agamas to eat any greens, so not sure if the babies will either. They've been out of egg for about 1 day now, when can I expect them to start eating? They also have a water bowl (not deep enough to drown, so no worries). They are generally active, which is usually a good sign, and the baby male is already bobbing its head (very cute!)

TL:DR. When should I expect them to start eating? What should I be feeding them? Should I house them with their parents?
A small baby tank with heat and UV is the way to go. Definitely don't leave them with the adults. They are probably okay in a groups, but keep an eye out for trouble as they gain size. Separate any that aren't growing as fast and watch for aggression or predation.

Agamid babies usually start eating within a week of hatching, but I know of know one with any experience with this species, including myself. Pinhead crickets or red runners would be better than dubias since dubias freeze up and sit still or disappear. I don't know about the worms.

South Africa
A small baby tank with heat and UV is the way to go. Definitely don't leave them with the adults. They are probably okay in a groups, but keep an eye out for trouble as they gain size. Separate any that aren't growing as fast and watch for aggression or predation.

Agamid babies usually start eating within a week of hatching, but I know of know one with any experience with this species, including myself. Pinhead crickets or red runners would be better than dubias since dubias freeze up and sit still or disappear. I don't know about the worms.
Thank you for the help Tom!