the beggining of a new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoke_kush

5 Year Member
This is the start of my new enclosure for my baby sulcata. I have two heat lamps and a rock underneath one of them for extra warmth. where the bundle of t-shirts are is where the grass will be placed and i will plant alot of flowers in there come spring time. His favorite hide is the small cork one on the top left hand side but he likes to sleep in the lower right hand corner, should i move his hide to where he tends to sleep at night? What do you think, any suggestions?

Attachments

• test.JPG
    test.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 96

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
It looks great! He will have so much room to grow into as well!

But what are you using as a substrate? It looks a bit like sand, and straight sand is usually not recommended...It can cause impactions and I don't think it has much traction. But it apparently is great when mixed with bed a beast.

How does he like all his new space?

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
very good start. is that regular sand or mixed with something? Everyone seems to love the sand/bed a beast mixture, but so far I am trying out potting soil with a layer of timothy hay on top. The sand can be irritating and cause impaction.
p.s. You seem very enthusiastic about your Tort!!!!

smoke_kush

5 Year Member
it's just sand for now but bed beast is coming soon. I am debating what kind of a uvb to buy for him. I have a flood lamp that contains a 5.0 reptisun. what light should i get a 10.0 uvb or a 100 watt mvb?

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
if you need the heat, get the mvb, otherwise get the fluoroscent. I only got the 5.0 since mine is only about 6 inches from the substrate.
I have a black light on at night, cause the room gets into the 60's. then a reg. light on a dimmer switch that I adjust for temps in the 90's in the basking area, then the fluorescent.

smoke_kush

5 Year Member
my uvb is only about 6 inches away from the substrate. would it be safe to get a mvb?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Smoke-Kush
Here are two sites regarding lighting and heating which I found were very informative. I personally have my Greek hatchlings under the T-Rex 100 watt MVB and a ceramic heat emittter for nightime. But I have my adults under florecent and heat lamps. So really it depends on your preference and how you have your set-up.
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/
http://www.anapsid.org/liteheat.html

M

Maggie Cummings

I see that you are trying hard to make a decent place for your tort to live. But you need a better substrate you won't be able to make humidity if you can't keep the substrate damp and that's what you need, humidity at the substrate level. Your lights look like they are too far away and won't be able to provide the warmth that's needed. You'll need something to place the food on so it won't all be dragged thru the substrate...other then that you are doing a really good job! Oh and I'd use a 100 watt T=rex bulb for UVB and heat...:D

smoke_kush

5 Year Member
i am going to get some reptile moss to put over his soil whenever i go to return the licorice mulch. i am growing grass in his enclosure and i was wondering if pro mix organic soil would be okay for him.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
Your enclosure is very similar to the one i have for my sulcata.The dimensions of mine are 4 foot wide,8 foot long,16 inches tall.Although mine will not be big enough for long!Yours looks great!I use a reptisun 5.0 flourescent uvb and i have three 100w red bulbs for the heat.You may want to consider laying your uvb over the corner instead of hanging it on its side, Thats what i did and my tort seems to love it.It seems more natural.That eco earth(bed a beast) is really good also.Your enclosure looks great, I am sure your sulcata is loving it.Good luck,tom.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Smoke_Kush, I really like your enclosure. But lease do not use the Pro Mix organic soil it contains Perlite.
Perlite or vermiculite is indigestible and can cause impactions.

I have used Kellogg All Natural Outdoor Potting Soil it’s a rich blend of premium composted ingredients with all natural chicken manure, kelp meal and worm castings. (It has an odor)

I have found the bricks of bed a beast or 'Eco Earth' coconut fiber works as well if not better due to no odor. Three bricks are sold at places like Petsmart for about $9.00, one brick about $3.00. This stuff really expands when placed in water and covers quite an area when mixed 50/50 with sand. It holds moisture well and yet allows the top to dry quickly while holding the moisture deeper in the substrate.
It seems that when we have suggested coconut fiber you shy away from it. Is there any particular reason why you do not want to use the coconut fiber?

I would use sphagnum moss instead of reptile moss. Long strand sphagnum moss at home depot is about $4.00, compared to $14.00 at pet stores. It is not the bright green that reptile moss is but then you don’t want your little Sully to think that that dark green stuff is food either. I would place it in one or two area instead of over the entire enclosure. That way you can keep one dampened to increase humidity (sphagnum moss does not mold) and one left dry.

I agree your florescent light needs to be shining down. Also if you are going to grow grass you will need a plant light that provides UVA (a grow bulb). MVB provide UVA, UVB and heat. One bulb less electricity but pricier bulb. This is where it gets tricky because you really need to read up on the bulbs and what types of light rays they produce for your needs and wants.

smoke_kush

5 Year Member
when i say reptile moss i meant bed a beast. i don't shy away from any suggestions given to me on this forum. i apreciate all of the advice on my enclosure and can't wait until everything is perfectly placed and all the seeds are planted. I have a window right next to his enclosure so a plant light really wouldnt be needed. i have a uvb for my tortoise because i really want him to grow and be healthy. he really loves having all the extra space and is very active! thanks again for all of the responses. i know it's not an ideal environment yet, but it's getting there :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.