The Best Way To Raise A Sulcata, Leopard, Or Star Tortoise

sheerpanicbarbie

Location (City and/or State)
Mount Angel, OR
@Tom Hey there! I've been following your advice here religiously. My sulcata is now 233g, and I'm wondering what soaking schedule I should be using. She's in a closed enclosure with 80% humidity, a humid hide, and ample water. She's four times the size she was just a few months ago! Re: soaking, that's really the only place she poops, so I'm nervous to stop. Having said that, I'll be using a pet sitter for 2 weeks this summer, and I'm hoping soaking won't be a big factor by that time. Any advice?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom Hey there! I've been following your advice here religiously. My sulcata is now 233g, and I'm wondering what soaking schedule I should be using. She's in a closed enclosure with 80% humidity, a humid hide, and ample water. She's four times the size she was just a few months ago! Re: soaking, that's really the only place she poops, so I'm nervous to stop. Having said that, I'll be using a pet sitter for 2 weeks this summer, and I'm hoping soaking won't be a big factor by that time. Any advice?
Hello! Thank you for posting this. Stories like yours help carry me through the tougher days.

My general way of thinking about the soaking is that babies need it every day. Adults need it once or twice a week. I make a slow transition between the two. After 100 grams, I start skipping a day now and then. By 1000 grams, I'm usually down to every other day.

At 233 grams I think it would be fine to skip a few days in a row while you are away. Just do more before and after.

sheerpanicbarbie

Mount Angel, OR
Hello! Thank you for posting this. Stories like yours help carry me through the tougher days.

My general way of thinking about the soaking is that babies need it every day. Adults need it once or twice a week. I make a slow transition between the two. After 100 grams, I start skipping a day now and then. By 1000 grams, I'm usually down to every other day.

At 233 grams I think it would be fine to skip a few days in a row while you are away. Just do more before and after.
Thank you so much for the quick reply! It’s so helpful to me. And thank you- so sincerely- for taking the time to post so much guidance for us all. I started Tahoma (native name for Mount Rainier) dry and read your guidance about 4 days after I got her. It involved changing tanks and radically changing my approach, but she’s now about to be upgraded yet again to a 6’ by 2’ closed humid enclosure. I’m learning so much! Thanks again.

Attachments

• 9C702B3A-42BD-43EE-AAD4-A0A49881D1AD.jpeg
    9C702B3A-42BD-43EE-AAD4-A0A49881D1AD.jpeg
    413.5 KB · Views: 7

jaraquistain

Castro Valley
Hey guys I finally got my baby last weekend and I’m feeling pretty good overall but I wanted to see if anyone had some advice on a couple things:

1) Any suggestions for getting them to try a more varied diet? Is it just something they explore over time? I’ve been feeding every day with a mix of spring mix and some combination of a few of probably 5-6 different kinds of weeds and grasses from my backyard plus some of the powdered supplements suggested in the guide. The breeder told me he had been feeding them spring mix but over the last week it has expressed really a preference for only one of the types of weeds and hasn’t been eating much of the other stuff. I know it’s only been a week so there’s not much data and maybe it’s opinion will change next week but if anyone has any opinions on that I’d like to hear. I’ve considered chopping up the food into smaller pieces to get a better mix since I’ve just been going with the whole leaf

2) for outside time I built a 3x4 frame with a chicken wire top that I’ve been setting on the ground. The ground is a mixture of just regular dirt and weeds/grass. I was wondering if this is ok for a 5 week old baby (it weighs 59g to give you an idea of size). My concern is that since there are dirt patches the baby might try to eat some dirt or small rocks or something. I don’t really have anywhere that is JUST grass so if the dirt is dangerous i would just add a bottom onto my frame with orchid bark or some other safer substrate

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. I’ve just been so excited for so long I want to make sure I’m doing the best for my baby. Reminds me of when my human kids were born!

Also I can take some pictures tomorrow when the sun is back up if it helps to see what I’m talking about

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys I finally got my baby last weekend and I’m feeling pretty good overall but I wanted to see if anyone had some advice on a couple things:

1) Any suggestions for getting them to try a more varied diet? Is it just something they explore over time? I’ve been feeding every day with a mix of spring mix and some combination of a few of probably 5-6 different kinds of weeds and grasses from my backyard plus some of the powdered supplements suggested in the guide. The breeder told me he had been feeding them spring mix but over the last week it has expressed really a preference for only one of the types of weeds and hasn’t been eating much of the other stuff. I know it’s only been a week so there’s not much data and maybe it’s opinion will change next week but if anyone has any opinions on that I’d like to hear. I’ve considered chopping up the food into smaller pieces to get a better mix since I’ve just been going with the whole leaf

2) for outside time I built a 3x4 frame with a chicken wire top that I’ve been setting on the ground. The ground is a mixture of just regular dirt and weeds/grass. I was wondering if this is ok for a 5 week old baby (it weighs 59g to give you an idea of size). My concern is that since there are dirt patches the baby might try to eat some dirt or small rocks or something. I don’t really have anywhere that is JUST grass so if the dirt is dangerous i would just add a bottom onto my frame with orchid bark or some other safer substrate

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. I’ve just been so excited for so long I want to make sure I’m doing the best for my baby. Reminds me of when my human kids were born!

Also I can take some pictures tomorrow when the sun is back up if it helps to see what I’m talking about
If the breeder didn't introduce the right foods, you will have to spend months doing it in small increments. Mince up a tiny amount of the new item and mix that with an old favorite that is all chopped up. It helps it stick if the greens are wet. Over time add more and more of the new items.

Keep outside time to a minimum for a baby, especially since it has been so cold. Outside is no place for a baby sulcata when temps are in the low 60s. When the weather warms up, keep the outside time to an hour of sun per inch of tortoise a couple few times a week. The great outdoors isn't so great for babies, it turns out. They do better when kept mostly indoors until they gain some size. The dirt should be fine. Supplement with MinerAll if you see rock eating. Since your tortoise was fed such a poor diet by the breeder, you might want to use the MinerAll just to be safe. Rock eating is usually worse with torts that have been fed mostly grocery store greens. Be sure all of those weeds are ID'd and known to be safe. Look out for fiddleneck and Indian tobacco. There are several bad ones.

Trtl3L0v3r

Today is my birthday!
Phoenix
I don’t know how you did it, but you managed to improve perfection. I will forever be amazed by your crazy in depth and well written care guides!

I’ve been procrastinating writing a sulcata care guide for the reptile site I moderate for forever, because I usually just link yours and have never seen any reason to write a different one. However, could I instead just convert this one to a post there, and submit it to our wiki for easy access to anyone that joins? You would be fully credited, of course, and it would be great to get this information to more people.

thanks for this post!
I worry she is a dry raised sulcata. She is not keen to sleeping in damp areas. Any suggestions? I have some Coco coir left over from when I had watched my friends breadie. I did attempt to make a spot for her using an old 5 gallon bucket some backyard dirt, chips of bark and Coco coir... She wants nothing to do with it damp or dry. So I figured I'd let her choose her own spot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I figured I'd let her choose her own spot.
Many people seem to think this is a good way to go, but it isn't. Many die this way. Even in their native range this doesn't work in a captive situation.

I replied further on the other thread.

Rombengy

DKI Jakarta
is container box with lid can be use as enclosure? if i cut holes for the light and for oxygen? trying to search for closed chamber enclosure but couldnt find it in my country

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
is container box with lid can be use as enclosure? if i cut holes for the light and for oxygen? trying to search for closed chamber enclosure but couldnt find it in my country
I see you are in Indonesia, with a naturally high ambient humidity. I have seen images posted on Facebook of many species inclined to pyramid that are normal in shell growth. To answer your question there are many many ways to create a fully enclosed habitat. The primary consideration after it being 'enclosed' is foot print/floor space. The more the better to some extent. A square meter is a good starting point for a baby tortoise. As for holes for air exchange, unless the enclosure is fully sealed there is no need for holes. Daily service of the enclosure proves effective as enough air exchnage to indicate no compromise to life.