The Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
I am working on my outdoor setup for my 2 leopards to use. They are now about 4-5 inches. There are some medium / large birds that are around. Bluejays,cardinals,crows, and a hawk that circles most mornings. Would I need to have chicken wire on top, or are the birds not interested it them? They will not be staying out, just to get some sun for a few hours if they want.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have never worried about birds once the tortoises are two or three years old. But, I have lots of cats outside, and plenty of tree cover. I had a hawk try to get one of my birds in the aviary once, but I've never seen crows or hawks eyeballing the tortoises.

Now, hatchlings are another story. I've found hatchling box turtles in places where they didn't belong and couldn't have gotten on their own.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In most cases, but NOT all, you are pretty safe from birds at 3-4". So yours should be fine. You still have to worry about dogs and raccoons though.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We have never had an issue with birds, however we have 40+ hatchlings at one time waiting for pick up and just do not chance it. This is what we use, works well.
155ta50.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
here in CA they are finding bigger and bigger CDT's being turned over by crows and ravens and being eaten, they are working as teams to flip the larger ones over..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah, Florida has some serious birds. We just have little scrub jays and crows out here in the desert.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dmmj said:
here in CA they are finding bigger and bigger CDT's being turned over by crows and ravens and being eaten, they are working as teams to flip the larger ones over..

That would be interesting to watch (as long as no tortoises were harmed while watching).

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I have red tail hawks that nest annually on the hill behind my house, excellent hunting grounds in the valley below. Suprisingly, I've never had one or any other local predatory bird bother my tortoises, of any size. But they easily could. I witnessed hawks carrying away full grown chickens. For whatever reasons, they have never shown any interest in my tortoises. I'd be more concerned about crows. Fortunately, there's never any around my place. Here where I live Ravens are a very, very rare sight so they really aren't a concern. A bigger concern here than birds are stray cats and racoons.

Status
Not open for further replies.