The blowing bubbles thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
So I'm assuming Sami has a respiratory infection. Here's what happened.

I went out of town for a missions trip to New Mexico. I've been gone for a week. I left her in the care of my parents. Well my parents have never taken care of her that long. The most they have watched her is maybe 2 days. Well since I was gone, I decided to have my parents just watch her inside since I had recently moved her outside but my parents were accustomed to her inside routine and I didn't want any complications while I was gone. So I brought her back in, set up her enclosure. Reminded them of the CHE at night and Mecury Vapor during the day. Feeding times etc and warm soaks 2-3 times 45mins long while away.

So here's the thing. I called today to let them know I was on my way home this morning and they mentioned that Sami was blowing bubbles. Well being on this forum I already assumed this was the respiratory infection so I was frantic and asked what happened and they said they let her outside. So I'm guessing the weather got to her because I don't think it was very great over there this past week.

They said it has been going on for about 2 days. I don't know why they didnt tell me this when I asked how she was in our other phone calls. They said she was fine. I'm still fuming about this. But anyway I told my dad to put her in a very warm bath for 45 mins and keep her bulbs on her strictly until I get home. I should be home tomorrow late morning. I'm stuck on a stupid train.

Do I need to get her to a vet or can I nurse her back to health? Can I buy something OTC? Please let me know how I can help my baby. I'm going to write out a very detailed set of instructions if I ever have to leave her with them again.

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

lkwagner

5 Year Member
How big is the tort? When my baby sulcata had a respiratory infection I just lowered the humidity and boosted the temps quite a bit

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would be very careful about telling your dad to keep lights on her strictly. She has a good chance of getting over heated and that will be more dangerous then a bubbly nose at this point. Unless i am misunderstanding what you meant by that. i am picturing her made to stay under the lights until you get home. I would just make sure they keep her inside and raise the temps to around 85, all over, day and night, with still a basking area, if you had set that up. Then deal with it yourself when you get home. She may be better by then. Good luck.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
She's about 7"-8" inches. I meant more along the lines of stick strictly to the schedule I gave him not sittin there watching to make sure she stays right under the lamp:) They has good intentions by letting her go outside and stuff but the weather wasn't good it was muggy this last week and that's why I wanted them to keep her inside plus they have just been more accustomed to that schedule.
So you think she will be okay if I correct it when I get home? There isn't much urgency to get her to a vet?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Bubbles don't always mean an ri. Is she acting normal otherwise? Active, eating, etc? I would have them raise the temp to 85 day and night until you get home and see if that helps her. Your getting home tomorrow, right?
Yes, they did have good intentions, so don't be hard on them when you get home:D
Keep us posted.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
They said she was completely fine otherwise, yes. Yes, we boarded the train an hour and a half ago. I've been on a missions trip in Albuquerque, NM and we all should be back late morning. So of course ill check on the animals when I get in before I fall to the grave for 12 hours. :) Yeah I felt guilty for getting so highly frustrated earlier so I called back a few minutes later and apologized but I wanted to just verify with you guys too. Thanks much. Hope you all are well. Sorry, life has been insane lately:) But alas, summer is here!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very glad you called them back. Have a safe trip home and I would bet she will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.