The Bonfire Night 2011 Photo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
A few of my pictures from Bonfire Night 2011 - interested to see other people's! Add them on. :)

Bonfire1.jpg

Bonfire15.jpg

Bonfire3.jpg

Bonfire4.jpg

Bonfire5.jpg

Bonfire6.jpg

Bonfire7.jpg

Bonfire8.jpg

Bonfire9.jpg

Bonfire16.jpg

Bonfire11.jpg

Bonfire12.jpg

Bonfire13.jpg

Bonfire14.jpg

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Great pictures, i was unable to upload pics,
I took pictures but i set my phone to upload them straight to photobucket!
My phone said they uploaded so i deleted my pics off my phone...
But there not on photobucket?

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Aww, that's a shame Tyler. Maybe they're just taking their time.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I know that you answered this already, but I can't find the post... What exactly was the celebration about?? :)

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
AnthonyC said:
I know that you answered this already, but I can't find the post... What exactly was the celebration about?? :)

A quick explanation, using stolen sentences from Wikipedia:

The Gunpowder Plot of 1605, in earlier centuries often called the Gunpowder Treason Plot or the Jesuit Treason, was a failed assassination attempt against King James I of England and VI of Scotland by a group of provincial English Catholics led by Robert Catesby.

The plan was to blow up the House of Lords during the State Opening of England's Parliament on 5 November 1605.

The plot was revealed to the authorities in an anonymous letter sent to William Parker, 4th Baron Monteagle, on 26 October 1605. During a search of the House of Lords at about midnight on 4 November 1605, Fawkes was discovered guarding 36 barrels of gunpowder—enough to reduce the House of Lords to rubble—and arrested.

At their trial on 27 January 1606, eight of the survivors, including Fawkes, were convicted and sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered.

So now, we celebrate his capture each year by burning bonfires (often with a 'scarecrow' Guy Fawkes on top), and having firework displays, fairgrounds and good food.

Really, it's just about the party. :p

Also, Tyler and Steph have let me down...

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
"At their trial on 27 January 1606, eight of the survivors, including Fawkes, were convicted and sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered."-- All I can say is that it "Fawking" sucks to be THAT guy!!! :D:D

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Those are great, Ty! I love the first one - reminds me of writing my name in the air as a kid. I was terrified of sparklers, but I did them anyway and just panicked towards the end. :p

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Thats what i tried to do...but then remember i cant take a picture of the writing because it's not really there. :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
does anything and everything get burned, or is it controlled mayhem?

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
dmmj said:
does anything and everything get burned, or is it controlled mayhem?

It varies.

I only attend controlled events in large places now. When I was a teenager I went to an event where the firework display went wrong and I was almost injured, and many people have backyard bonfires and fireworks that go wrong - I've seen people have their garden fences go up in flames, and of course a number of animals die each year when people have backyard bonfires that they've prepared in advance and then left alone. Cats, hedgehogs, they all crawl in for comfort and shelter, and then the matches get thrown on.

Of course, it's encouraged that people go to well-managed large events, but things do go wrong. The even I went to last night was very well-monitored, with first aiders and security all over, but you still get people giving their toddlers sparklers to play with in a very crowded park, and people who bring their dogs.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I went to University in England (A LONG TIME AGO) and they called it "Guy Fawkes night". Have they changed the name to "Bonfire Night" to protect the innocent? :p
It always seemed to sensible to have large fires on cold Autumn nights.
Love your pics, Steph, and Tyler, those are amazing sparkler shots.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
lynnedit said:
I went to University in England (A LONG TIME AGO) and they called it "Guy Fawkes night". Have they changed the name to "Bonfire Night" to protect the innocent? :p
It always seemed to sensible to have large fires on cold Autumn nights.
Love your pics, Steph, and Tyler, those are amazing sparkler shots.

It's called Fireworks Night, Bonfire Night and Guy Fawkes' Night in different areas. I think Bonfire Night is more prevalent, though. I called it Fireworks Night yesterday when talking about it with my fiance, and I had a confused moment where I wondered what'd caused me to say that when I've never called it that before. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.