The green house

Mvptortoise

I have had Tina for about 2 months now. Tina is a 51/2 in red foot female. About the 3rd week I had her my male pit broke in her cage my wife Cought him befor he did any serious damage my. So to her enclosure I had to first dog proof it. Then I decided to go all out and turn it into a green house also. Veggie plants and some herbs. Lots if grasses. And a waiting pond. I work in the construction field. So I have a lot avaible to me. I like to recycle materials if it's posible. And questions or suggestions are always welcome. image.jpgimage.jpg The green house is 16ft long by 8ft wide. The enclosure that she is currently in is on the right it is 8ft by 4ft

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I am guessing you have plans to place that cord up out of reach? Do you plan to keep the plastic on all season?

Mvptortoise

Yeah I'm getting rid of the cord. The wire ding isn't done yet. That's this weekend. Got an outdoor timer. I'm going to put river rock in the bottom of the pond and cypres mulch in the ground

Mvptortoise

I do have screen enclosure screen to use instead of plastic. But the plastic helps with the overall temp and humidity

Mvptortoise

image.jpg Off and on working in the green house. Grasses been planted more plants for her to munch on. Setting up to put an addition onimage.jpg

mikeh

5 Year Member
A perfect environment for red foot. Warm-moist-humid. Just make sure the floor isn't saggy wet to prevent shell rot. I like to use good amount of forest litter. Even when litter is wet/moist the plastron still keeps dry as there is air flow. Live forest floor is very natural to forest tort species and keeps them interested in smelling different materials and foraging in it for live foods. It stabilizes humidity and temperature.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Actually I was trying to sway you away from cypress mulch.:)
While its great for indoor enclosures, a real forest floor consisting of all kinds of dry/decomposing leaves, small twigs and things found on the forest floor would be more natural and stimulating for the tort. It is also free.
Either way should be one happy tortoise.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Like it, Like it! ! !