The "Gular Dagger Attack Tort" AKA Baby Runt

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest Florida
Sibi and I are the caretakers of three sulcata torts, two male and one female. The males are both normal and healthy, but Baby Runt is a rescue with MBD and other related health issues.

We have a big yard and let Baby Runt share the yard with the boys under supervision, but have on several occasions witnessed aggression by Baby Runt against the boys, especially against Beasty Boy.

For example, today I caught Baby Runt stalking around the yard, and, as soon as she spotted him, she turned toward Beasty Boy and began charging him. Beasty Boy, as if to anticipate the oncoming attack, lifted himself up and slowly approached. As soon as they met, Baby Runt tried to shove the gular region of her plastron into Beasty Boy's face in a swift stabbing motion, with the obvious goal of inflicting harm. Anticipating the attack, Beasty Boy pulled his head inside his shell, and I immediately separated the two in order to prevent the possibility of injury.

This is really odd, because Baby Runt is only 30 lbs and less than half the size of the boys. In fact, just nine months ago she was in critical care for one of her health issues, and yet now she walks around the yard as if she's the dominant tortoise.

Has anyone else ever seen this kind of female on male aggression in sulcatas? Please let me know your thoughts on this!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I've got a very aggressive female that must live alone. She also takes on males twice her size or her same size. Good to see you post. Missing you folks…

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
My little Dozer picks on my adult female sulcata and she is 60 something pounds to dozers Twelve to fifteen pounds . She will bump her from behind its pretty funny to watch . Then I pick up Dozer and put her back in her little area .

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Hi, good to see you stopping by. You should do it more often. Tell sibi we said hello.

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
I've got a very aggressive female that must live alone. She also takes on males twice her size or her same size. Good to see you post. Missing you folks…

I'm glad to hear that this isn't just a Baby Runt thing. BTW, one of her nicknames is "sulcata mafia", so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised she's become a little bully. ;-)

Anyhow, it's good to be back on TFO, and thanks for your reply! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you sure baby runt is female?

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida

Yes, I promise, but I need to get Sibi to post to this thread and not just to Pretend Chat. I just need to figure out a way to invite her to this thread... There we go, shared a link with her via text msg. :)

Last edited:

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
Are you sure baby runt is female?

Sibi is sure, and I've always taken it for granted that Baby Runt is female. The boys seem to think she's female, too. Last year they would try to go after her quite a bit, but I think they've learned their lesson by now.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Holy cow!! Baby Runt looks gigantic. She's only 30 pounds, though. She was thrashing up a storm in her bath today. When she heard my voice, she went nuts. But that gular region is pointy and she has a mean jab LOL Guys, you've got to post something about this pic.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
She is SO beautiful!! I love the look on her face. "Yea? You gotta problem with me?!"

Maybe she is a Leo. She just isn't taking chit from anyone...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yea, she's a toughie. It does look like she has a green do. LOL And to think that just 2 1/2 years ago, she was 4 ounces!!! She was 3 years old then. My other 3 year old sullies weigh over 60 pounds! I love her to pieces. She can't feed herself; so, I hand feed her twice day, and she gets to roam and try to eat overgrown weeds and grass. Poor baby

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
Here's a picture of Baby Runt being pursued by Beasty Boy. ;)

Attachments

• WP_20150601_18_23_19_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150601_18_23_19_Pro.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 31

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Yea, she's a toughie. It does look like she has a green do. LOL And to think that just 2 1/2 years ago, she was 4 ounces!!! She was 3 years old then. My other 3 year old sullies weigh over 60 pounds! I love her to pieces. She can't feed herself; so, I hand feed her twice day, and she gets to roam and try to eat overgrown weeds and grass. Poor baby
I'm going to have to go back and look at your earlier threads about her. How can a tortoise be three years old and only 4 ounces?!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm going to have to go back and look at your earlier threads about her. How can a tortoise be three years old and only 4 ounces?!
With very bad care from previous owners. She was a rescue from AZ. Look for my original thread about her. You'll be in tears.