The heat has him hot for her.

Location (City and/or State)
California
Noticed some interesting behavior today with our angulated group. We have been having some really hot days 100-110+ with warm 70-80 degree nights. The male in with this group of females has been on a mission all evening. Chasing, pushing and flipping one on her side. He’s usually very mild mannered and will circle the females while bobbing his head at them. The female in this video he’s taken particular interest in. They always sleep in the same spot together and are frequently caught rubbing noses. It’s pretty cute actually. So I’m curious if anyone else has seen this change to more aggressive behavior during the heat? Maybe it’s a trigger to amp up breeding? I can separate him if needed but he’s always been so peaceful and I’ve seen him breeding earlier this season using his less aggressive, more seductive, behavior. ? I certainly found it interesting and I’m keeping a close eye on them.

Because I don’t know how to attach a video here the link to our FB page if you would like to see it.

Reactions: Tom

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Quite sad to watch. I think you should put up a divide in the enclosure and give them some time out from each other, as the female will get stressed and sick.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
My male is a very active breeder, but he doesn't ram or push. Just circles, opens his mouth in her face, and follows her around, but doesn't ram. The hotter it is, the faster he is, but I have never seen him get more aggressive.

California
That’s his usual behavior as well I was wondering if anyone who keeps these guys has seen an increase in agressive behavior during the heat?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That’s his usual behavior as well I was wondering if anyone who keeps these guys has seen an increase in agressive behavior during the heat?
I have a lone male. He hides out in the shade all day except to eat. I haven't noticed anything different due to him being all alone. Interesting...

Stars and sulcatas are acting normally. I left the male SA leopards in their own pens this weekend due to the heat. Didn't want them to flip a female in the sun.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Tiny Tim my maledesert tortoise is always the most obnoxious in August when it’s the hottest time of the year. He is more prone to be active during the hottest time of day and is always trying to mate with the females. I always thought he was just weird and I guess it isn’t a weird behavior after all. Poor guy is over 60 in there he is trying to do his thing when it’s 115+ outside.

California
Tiny Tim my maledesert tortoise is always the most obnoxious in August when it’s the hottest time of the year. He is more prone to be active during the hottest time of day and is always trying to mate with the females. I always thought he was just weird and I guess it isn’t a weird behavior after all. Poor guy is over 60 in there he is trying to do his thing when it’s 115+ outside.
Interesting for sure.