The introverted vs extroverted tortoise owner

Are you more introverted or extroverted?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif
Well then I am definately an introvert. I NEED time to myself to recharge. I too find people that can babble on for hours about their uneventful day exhausting..... :)

farber2028 said:
RuthJanice said:
Well I am the worst kind I suppose.... I dont know which I am. I hate crowds. However I am not shy as I can talk to anyone.... but like many of you, I typically have little interest in what most people babble on about. I prefer the outdoors. I have always found more joy in being around animals and nothing makes me ill tempered quicker than seeing or hearing of abuse. I will and have rescue anything animal in need - much to my husband's dismay. The last was a "dirty bird" (crow) that was injured on the side of the road. I love my tortoise and my bulldog. So what does that make me?????

Being an introvert doesn't mean that you're shy. I'm not shy. Hell, I can talk to anyone about anything it's just a matter of if I want to or not. I just don't go out of my way to talk to people about nothing. I prefer in-depth conversations on something I may be passionate about or whatever catches my interest. I find people exhausting and need time to myself. Which is why I think I'm so interested in torts. They are so much fun to just watch and quietly observe, also they require work that one can get lost in.

A big difference in introverts and extroverts is "recharge" time. I need peace and quiet and often to be alone to feel rejuvenated, as do most introverts. Extroverts tend to find being a lone cumbersome and stressful because they can't stand it, so they "recharge" around people. It's actually pretty interesting stuff once you start reading into it a bit.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Spn785 said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Introversion/extroversion is an innate part of our temperament, and not changeable over time. Thus, we are born at some point on the introversion/extroversion spectrum, and stay around that point our whole lives. It's thought that this is because of an inborn part of how our brains work. Basically, your brain either filters out a lot of stimulation, or else lets a lot of it in. If you have a very active filter, then you need more stimulation to feel at equilibrium, making you an extrovert. However, if your filter is less active, then you already feel at equilibrium with less excitement, and are therefore an introvert.

Geo, I'm not so sure about this, maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but personality tests, and my own experience, all show that I have changed from an extreme introvert to an extrovert.

Personality has two components: character and temperament. Character is something that can change over time as we learn to navigate our way through the world. Temperament, however, is inborn and not very changeable. Personality tests like Myers-Briggs and others are supposed to be testing temperament. If your results change from one time you've taken the test to another, then try to determine which of your answers are the most accurate, and use the results from that test.

When we did this at work for the other profile, I had a different profile at home than I do at work. You have a different personality depending upon what is influencing you and your environment. The guy who did ours also said that your personality scores can change over time.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
GeoTerraTestudo said:
I am introverted, and I have also wondered if torties and boxies might be more appealing to introverts than extroverts. Judging by the poll above, it seems they might be.

For those of you wanting to learn whether you're introverted or extroverted, as well as about other aspects of your personality, I highly recommend the following resource. It's the website of psychologist David Keirsey, and it uses the Jungian Myers-Briggs personality test to determine your type and help you learn more about yourself:

http://keirsey.com/

Enjoy. :)

I am a Rational Inventor, which fits really well.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Kerryann said:
When we did this at work for the other profile, I had a different profile at home than I do at work. You have a different personality depending upon what is influencing you and your environment. The guy who did ours also said that your personality scores can change over time.

Well, again, it depends on which aspects of your personality. Your brain is your brain, whether you're at work or at home. You may choose to reveal different aspects of your temperament in different environments. That's where the malleability and learning comes in. However, these tests are supposed to find out what your inborn temperament is like. Whether they succeed in doing so is another matter. ;)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
GeoTerraTestudo said:
I am introverted, and I have also wondered if torties and boxies might be more appealing to introverts than extroverts. Judging by the poll above, it seems they might be.

For those of you wanting to learn whether you're introverted or extroverted, as well as about other aspects of your personality, I highly recommend the following resource. It's the website of psychologist David Keirsey, and it uses the Jungian Myers-Briggs personality test to determine your type and help you learn more about yourself:

http://keirsey.com/

Enjoy. :)

I'm an Idealist Healer (INFP) which is a little surprising since every other personality test I've ever taken has pegged me as a Mad Scientist, INTP. Maybe I'm becoming a softie. Either way, I'm an introvert. My husband on the other hand, is an extrovert and he loves tortoises as well. So I don't think it comes down to extrovert vs introvert when it comes to tortoises as pets.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I'm definitely an "intorvert" I guess. I don't talk to people in my school partly because most other teenagers are annoying to me. Of course I have a few people I talk to on occasion, but I prefer just having "no social life." My parents always pick on me about it, but it's true :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
hunterk997 said:
I'm definitely an "intorvert" I guess. I don't talk to people in my school partly because most other teenagers are annoying to me. Of course I have a few people I talk to on occasion, but I prefer just having "no social life." My parents always pick on me about it, but it's true :)

I think teenagers are annoying to everyone. :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Except you, Clarice! :D You're not annoying!!

Status
Not open for further replies.