The Last Mulberry Leaves

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Today I fed the last fresh mulberry leaves from this year to the sulcatas. Here's Walker, since he was the last one to come out to eat this afternoon to finish them off.KIMG1743.JPGThen he ate collards and mazuri. That's all he wanted because he didn't eat any of the fallen leaves from the trees.KIMG1744.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Today I fed the last fresh mulberry leaves from this year to the sulcatas. Here's Walker, since he was the last one to come out to eat this afternoon to finish them off.View attachment 352115Then he ate collards and mazuri. That's all he wanted because he didn't eat any of the fallen leaves from the trees.View attachment 352116
Most of the trees in my new found magical mulberry neighborhood have gone yellow now. I might get one or two more cuttings from a couple of the trees, but they are all about done for the season here too.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yep. All done here in Maryland Len. Not much left growing. Grass still green, but slow growing. The odd dandelion blossom here & there. Banana leaves on the dormant trees keep growing.

B5B4B9EC-5791-4FEE-B2C7-0A5575AAF91F.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All last longer then mine. My mulberry have been gone for some time now. Well the few that I wasn't able to get too when I stripped them
I still have some dried ones left.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Today I started feeding rehydrated weeds, grasses and leaves that I dried over the summer and fall months. Here's Donald eating weeds, grass and mulberry leaves. KIMG1749.JPGKIMG1755.JPGWinter feeding this way works well for me and is beneficial for the tortoises.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Yep. All done here in Maryland Len. Not much left growing. Grass still green, but slow growing. The odd dandelion blossom here & there. Banana leaves on the dormant trees keep growing.

View attachment 352118
KIMG1745.JPGKIMG1746.JPGHere is what mine look like and I won't clean them up until next year early spring. When I first started growing them I did what you are doing until I figured out it wasn't necessary. What is the plant you trimmed back setting in front of the bananas?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Most of the trees in my new found magical mulberry neighborhood have gone yellow now. I might get one or two more cuttings from a couple of the trees, but they are all about done for the season here too.
Do you have any natural growing winter plants that can be a source of food? Surprisedly there are quite a few here for most of the winter months. Not enough for full feedings all winter but a little variety is good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you have any natural growing winter plants that can be a source of food? Surprisedly there are quite a few here for most of the winter months. Not enough for full feedings all winter but a little variety is good.
Oh yes. Winter is our rainy season and all the weeds and wild grasses start growing like mad. They get a lot of mallow, grass, sow thistle, bristly ox tongue, prickly lettuce, plantain and many more like that this time of year. Then, when the weeds are all starting to dry up and die in the spring heat, the mulberry leaves, opuntia and grape vines come back.