The Mighty Odin's first outdoor habitat/playpen

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
Obviously it needs a lot more in the way of square footage and plantings and such before he makes it a full-time summer home, but we are quite a ways off from that yet. Not only because of his age and size (He is just shy of a year old and still under 200 grams.) but because we are still a few weeks off from safe planting season here.
It is currently only about 45 square feet but we have plenty of room for expansion. The area is on the north side of a large maple so it has morning and afternoon dappled shade with direct sun after about 2PM. The burrow opening is facing east so the sun will be on the paver and not shining into the burrow. I seeded the dirt around the paver with radish, two types of dandelion and a variety of grass and clovers.

We started off with a burrow, covered by a large paver, @1x2ft with some coarse gravel mixed into the dirt for additional drainage, which he immediately surveyed and signed off on.009.JPG
016.JPG 017.JPG 019.JPG

The tilled up area on the other side of the tree has all been seeded with clover mix and fresh grass seed. It will all be his domain also028.JPG

I have a lilac bush in another area of the yard which is freely suckering all into the lawn, so I dug up a few of them and added one to each side of the burrow.031.JPG

And a couple more behind his little pool.032.JPG

He started to check them out....033.JPG

But was distracted by a dandelion he missed on patrol earlier.035.JPG

I am king of all I survey!!!!!!038.JPG

I AM THE MIGHTY ODIN!!!!!!!043.JPG

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I love it! Now this isn't criticism considering i'm using a baby pool this summer, but i wonder what would happen if he fell off the roof of his den into it? I think he would land upside down...Is there a way you can create a rail? Everything else looks so good even to me(nit-picker). I especially love how everything is sunk into the ground erasing and flipping hazards(and to allow easy mowing?).

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I love it! Now this isn't criticism considering i'm using a baby pool this summer, but i wonder what would happen if he fell off the roof of his den into it? .
Hm. I hadn't thought of that, but I don't know how likely it would be for him. He has a raised area and a ramp in his indoor habitat and he is very cautious when he is near the edges and has never even come close to falling off, but it is something I will watch for. This summer we will always be out there with him because he is still such a little guy and hawks and eagles cannot be trusted!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Yep, I wasn't going to mention that. I thought i was being critical enough. LOL especially since you did such a fantqastic job on it.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Yep, I wasn't going to mention that. I thought i was being critical enough. LOL especially since you did such a fantqastic job on it.
I have a very thick skin (some say a bit too thick) so criticism, even when harsh, is never taken personally by me. I am here for feedback, so anything you see, lay it on me!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Oh, and maybe I should expound on the choice of location being under a tree. The shade was only half of the reason (the yard has southern exposure and it can get pretty harsh back there) Large predatory birds generally need a more open area to do their swooping and snatching. Having the playpen under the tree not only affords a less conspicuous area to be seen from above, but it will also impede a raptors dive space. In addition, there is a six foot fence, only chain link, but it will also aid in deterring them. The larger the bird the more space they need, this area will make it a lot more awkward for them (though not impossible) until Odin is large enough to not be carried off.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Round two in the playpen!
He patroled the edge of the paver very cautiously and thoroughly before venturing into the burrow and exiting pleased.
I know it's too early for many plants here, but I took a gamble and planted a rose mallow, a mini rose bush and a strawberry plant just outside of the enclosure to give them time to *hopefully* get established before we expand around them. 060.JPG 061.JPG 062.JPG 064.JPG 065.JPG 066.JPG 067.JPG 071.JPG 068.JPG 069.JPG 070.JPG 072.JPG

Attachments

• 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 29

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I think it is fair to say that the playpen is a success! My son stayed out with him until it started to get overcast and almost dark (storms-a-comin) and when it felt like night Odin went into his new burrow and promptly fell asleep. The boy had to dig him out to bring him in for his after-digging-in-the-dirt bath.
:)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I really like how you used a paver for a hide roof. Great idea! I think I may try this too! Thanks!! :D

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I really like how you used a paver for a hide roof. Great idea! I think I may try this too! Thanks!! :D
Thanks! It wasn't the original plan, but while we were roaming around the home improvement store, we saw these "giant" pavers and it was just too perfect for his current size.
We will still have to go with a fairly large above ground structure eventually (sulcata), but this will work beautifully this summer.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I like how you referred to the enclosure as "playpen." This is definitely how mine is turning out too!!! :p

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
A rather wonderful enclosure for the splendid Mighty Odin.
Be careful though; Acer, the maple has leaves high in sugar which should be picked up if they land in the enclosure. A little is ok but -
As the leaves dry out they become more toxic and can be dangerous. Red maple s pretty dangerous anyway.
Regarding radish, the root is too high in glusinolates and carbohydrates, though the leaves are ok in moderation, they too contain glusinolates which muck up thyroid function and can lead to liver and kidney damage.
Strawberry contains tannins and older leaves become poisonous, young leaves ok in moderation.
Sorry, but you did say criticism was ok!
I do think it's a lovely place to look at and Odin is beautiful.