The Next Generation of Tortoise Husbandry?

SweetGreekTorts

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
I've seen a lot of very unusual behaviors by new tortoise owners that I have to admit has me worried about the future of tortoise husbandry. I'm seeing the following ridiculous things on Facebook:

Mi casa es tortuga casa! This has trouble written all over it. Cold and slippery tile floors, dangerous "snacks" like coins, screws, and dust bunnies, getting stuck in between furniture, or - Heaven forbid - the tortoise being stepped on by its owner. And that happened just a few days ago. An owner admitted stepping on her tortoise and cracking its shell which required a vet visit. But that's not all...other owners were telling her not to feel bad, it's not her fault, and accidents happen. If that tortoise was safely in its enclosure, it would not have been stepped on in the first place.

Dog beds? Seriously? Owners are buying the plush fleece dog beds and putting them in their tort's enclosure to give it a soft bed to sleep on every night. Don't forget the pillow!

Then there are harnesses. Yeah, put a harness and leash on your tortoise before you take it for a walk outside, cause if it sees an opportunity to bolt, it will, and you won't be able to catch it! I wonder if those harnesses have little flashing lights for nighttime [emoji848]

Diapers! Let's not forget to put diapers on our tortoises before we let them free roam the house. Cause it wouldn't be good to step on tortoise poo either.

Owners seem to get frustrated when their tortoise poops or pees on them while they are trying to cuddle with it in front of the TV.

Since pairs of tortoises are not recommended, they found a way around it by giving their tortoise a fur buddy instead. Whether it's a dog loose in the house with a free range "shell puppy," or a cat in the tort's enclosure. All the dog will see is a round rawhide bone to chew, and all cats see is an extra large litterbox. Sadly, both of those have happened to some of those owners.

And anybody who does not go along with the above and discourages it, gets scolded that they don't know what tortoises want or need, and that they don't care about their tortoise being comfortable.

I've been a tortoise keeper for over 10 years. My tortoises have designated indoor enclosures, and outdoor enclosures. They sleep in humid hides or burrow in their substrate. I only handle them for soaking or a vet visit. Otherwise I leave them be, diaper-free.

Forgive me for being "old fashioned," I guess. I've never had the pleasure of cracking my tortoise's shell, having it swallow a screw, letting it be chewed on by my dog, or watching it slide around on a tile floor while wearing a diaper.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I started working in pet stores in the mid 80s. I was usually the guy that was the go-between with the vet for the store. My career now involves entire compounds of exotic animals, and having several good vets on your speed dial is a necessity. My wife was a vet tech for 13 years while she earned her Masters Degree, and then she became a Vet consultant whose territory encompassed all of SoCal and dozens of vet clinics. We are personal friends with many vets after all these years. They share meals, birthdays and special occasions with us. All of them know of my tortoise obsession and they share all their interesting and out of the ordinary tortoise cases with me. Some of them call me for tortoise advice to give to their clients.

This being the case, I see a lot more than the average person regarding all that can go wrong with a tortoise. I do all I can to share what I know and try to help people not make these common mistakes, but some people are either willfully ignorant, just plain rebellious, stupid, or they really believe; "It won't happen to me..." We had a member here who found a 2 inch sewing pin inside her tortoise in an x-ray and had no idea how it got there or where it came from. She got mad and left because we were telling her the tortoise shouldn't be roaming loose and she fully intended to keep doing it. Another member smashed her tortoises head in the crack on the hinge side and killed it. She was devastated. Another one ran over their own tortoise because someone left the front door open and it walked out. All of these people were sure it was safe and they all claimed to supervise carefully. All of these tortoises would be alive and well if they were in a proper enclosure.

I keep hearing these complaints about FB tortoise groups, and I can't figure out why they wish to dispense bad advice, and intentionally shut down good advice. Its crazy. It makes as much sense as our government. Which is almost none.

I feel your pain. I can sympathize. I've been fighting this fight here on tortoise forum for almost a decade now. People get mad, leave in a huff, call me all sorts of names, attempt to discredit me, etc... All because I'm trying to help them not harm their pet.

Do what you can. Tell those who will listen. Lead by example. Never give up.

Last edited:

Chasen

Galveston
I started working in pet stores in the mid 80s. I was usually the guy that was the go-between with the vet for the store. My career now involves entire compounds of exotic animals, and having several good vets on your speed dial is a necessity. My wife was a vet tech for 13 years while she earned her Masters Degree, and then she became a Vet consultant whose territory encompassed all of SoCal and dozens of vet clinics. We are personal friends with many vets after all these years. They share meals, birthdays and special occasions with us. All of them know of my tortoise obsession and they share all their interesting and out of the ordinary tortoise cases with me. Some of them call me for tortoise advice to give to their clients.

This being the case, I see a lot more than the average person regarding all that can go wrong with a tortoise. I do all I can to share what I know and try to help people not make these common mistakes, but some people are either willfully ignorant, just plain rebellious, stupid, or they really believe; "It won't happen to me..." We had a member here who found a 2 inch sewing pin inside her tortoise in an x-ray and had no idea how it got there or where it came from. She got mad and left because we were telling her the tortoise shouldn't be roaming loose and she fully intended to keep doing it. Another member smashed her tortoises head in the crack on the hinge side and killed it. She was devastated. Another one ran over their own tortoise because someone left the front door open and it walked out. All of these people were sure it was safe and they all claimed to supervise carefully. All of these tortoises would be alive and well if they were in a proper enclosure.

I keep hearing these complaints about FB tortoise groups, and I can't figure out why they wish to dispense bad advice, and intentionally shut down good advice. Its crazy. It makes as much sense as our government. Which is almost none.

I feel your pain. I can sympathize. I've been fighting this fight here on tortoise forum for almost a decade now. People get mad, leave in a huff, call me all sorts of names, attempt to discredit me, etc... All because I'm trying to help them not harm their pet.

I'm personally grateful that you are fighting the fight, so please continue to do so. You may not be able to help all of the little torts out there, but it makes a difference to the ones you can. Thanx for sharing your wisdom and experience

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I share, and enjoy, tortoise pics on Facebook, but I don't look for information there ... or try to share it either, since being banned from a couple of fb groups for daring to voice dissenting opinions about diet and substrate.

I'm very grateful for the TFO community providing a sane voice in the wilderness of kookie and dangerous and negligent tortoise keepers and their dogma (tortma?).

I think this type of willfully ignorant and defensive person has always existed, certain that every opinion is equally worthy, and worthy of being touted as fact ... I simply think that various factors in our society at this time and place often make the static louder than the actual broadcast.

Anyway, I'm happy to have found TFO, and know that Darwin is better for my discovery.

Thanks everyone!

Jamie

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I agree with your post. I am however guilty of the dog bed though. I don't know it was just something I tried for about 2 days. My tortoise preferred to bury himself underneath it rather than go in it, so I got rid of it.

Chasen

Galveston
I share, and enjoy, tortoise pics on Facebook, but I don't look for information there ... or try to share it either, since being banned from a couple of fb groups for daring to voice dissenting opinions about diet and substrate.

I'm very grateful for the TFO community providing a sane voice in the wilderness of kookie and dangerous and negligent tortoise keepers and their dogma (tortma?).

I think this type of willfully ignorant and defensive person has always existed, certain that every opinion is equally worthy, and worthy of being touted as fact ... I simply think that various factors in our society at this time and place often make the static louder than the actual broadcast.

Anyway, I'm happy to have found TFO, and know that Darwin is better for my discovery.

Thanks everyone!

Jamie

Well said.. "tortma" Good one. LOL

Lucygoose100

Deforest WI
I just want to take a moment and say THANK YOU to this group. I found you on accident but have been welcomed and given wonderful advice so far. I appreciate your dedication to the tortoises out there as they need someone trying to make sure they are taken care of properly.
Our animals are better because of you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Stupid is not easy too fix and teaching common sense is impossible. All we can do is tell them what's right and what's wrong and have the courage to stand up to the crap the idiots will give you and keep pushing the right way.
Eventually they might learn but usually won't admit they were wrong.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Not as much as Tom but I have made people mad and leave because I will tell them what they are doing wrong when they just wanted to show a pic. I'm not going to kiss anything or say how cute their tort is without pointing out all that's wrong. Don't like it too bad.
If you don't get scared off from someone getting mad, then in the nicest way possible keep pushing the right way. If not before, they will get it when they really screw up. Unfortunately the tort may have to pay for their owners righteousness.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
There will always be people you can’t educate! But I’ve said for 2 years ( Evan at the TTPG conference) we need to get more teens educated, so our tort hobby don’t die with us !
And about the bows, pillows ,fruit , and diapers! We can only keep trying!
And as far as Facebook it’s a lost cause! [emoji217]