THE NUT HOUSE

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
First of all, at least you guys can grow plants. I seem to have a black thumb with plants just like I have a black thumb with scones. I’m making scones this weekend by the way. Secondly I am amused by your weather reports because I can report to you over 110, sunny and never gets less than 90 on a daily basis. Yay. I would kill for a nice hurricane, tornado, snow blizzard sleet ice anything… But no. Hot and sunny. Price I pay living in hell. And third I hope you’re all having a great day.
I went to the grocery store and bought various cheeses including Gorgonzola. I got a pair to go with the Gorgonzola. We’ll see how that goes over. My leopard tortoise had not been pooping much and was not pooping in his water soak and when I came home tonight there was crap all over his enclosure so I guess he was just saving it up. Definitely it’s a great way to try to diet because by the time I cleaned is an incredibly smelly poops I really didn’t feel like eating dinner anymore.
We'll try to send you some rain to wash your...worries...away.
Just as soon as as I can figure out who to submit that requisition to.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
First of all, at least you guys can grow plants. I seem to have a black thumb with plants just like I have a black thumb with scones. I’m making scones this weekend by the way. Secondly I am amused by your weather reports because I can report to you over 110, sunny and never gets less than 90 on a daily basis. Yay. I would kill for a nice hurricane, tornado, snow blizzard sleet ice anything… But no. Hot and sunny. Price I pay living in hell. And third I hope you’re all having a great day.
I went to the grocery store and bought various cheeses including Gorgonzola. I got a pair to go with the Gorgonzola. We’ll see how that goes over. My leopard tortoise had not been pooping much and was not pooping in his water soak and when I came home tonight there was crap all over his enclosure so I guess he was just saving it up. Definitely it’s a great way to try to diet because by the time I cleaned is an incredibly smelly poops I really didn’t feel like eating dinner anymore.
I've kept lots of tortoises over the years, and absolutely would rather pick up Sulcata poop barehanded then use a 20 ft pole to pick up cat poop. Anyway, re:tortoise poop I wonder why your tort has smelly poops. To me tort poop tops the list of non-smelly poop. What species of tort do you have? I forget...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yep, my golden greek doesn‘t wreck his plants like my Russian.
Put 35 lbs on your Russian, and you MIGHT come close to the damage one Sulcata can do. and the raw strength they have. I have had to block Knobby from half of his new habitat, most of it was under the cherry tree and Knobs was pooping out so many cherry pits I was starting to get worried, then he killed the hydrangea that was protected by my old Goodyear tires, with a cinder block in each tire, he moved both tires out of his way, and wiped that hydrangea right gone. Then he's pulled up the field fence that had been buried a foot down for a buncha years. He tried to root up the grape vine in the tub, but failed. Oh and he has bent part of the chain-link gate. So I've blocked him off, so now he spends his day trying to knock over the cinder blocks keeping him out. I made this blockade 3 high, and so far I'm winning. Damn he's trouble. Here's knobs trying to climb the cedar fence...the camera is looking down at him
100_4857.JPG100_4831.JPG

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
I've kept lots of tortoises over the years, and absolutely would rather pick up Sulcata poop barehanded then use a 20 ft pole to pick up cat poop. Anyway, re:tortoise poop I wonder why your tort has smelly poops. To me tort poop tops the list of non-smelly poop. What species of tort do you have? I forget...
The stinkbomb is a leopard. My deserts smell fine.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Isn’t it the difference in the protein that they eat? Example... deer, horses, cows, grazing animals all have grass poop.. and it doesn’t really stink..
But my bulldog... well that’s a whole other story ?!!!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Isn’t it the difference in the protein that they eat? Example... deer, horses, cows, grazing animals all have grass poop.. and it doesn’t really stink..
But my bulldog... well that’s a whole other story ?!!!!
I don't mind the smell of healthy Sulcata poop. But I fostered an 80 lb Pit Bull a year ago I think, and he had bigger and smellier poop than my 6'4" long haired biker last ex-husband. I probably might have given the Pit (Roscoe) a forever home, but I really couldn't handle the gigantic stinky poops and oceans of pee all in a tortoise pen. Nope, I have tons of bird poop, mountains of cat poop, tanks of turtle poop and chains of Sulcata poop; but those massive mounds of dog crap gagged me and nauseated me. No more animals for me anyway

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Every once in a while my Redfoot drops one that stanks up the whole place. Even after I remove it and throw it away it takes like 4 hours for the smell to go away. I've yet to determine the cause?

Zoeclare

Uk
Every once in a while my Redfoot drops one that stanks up the whole place. Even after I remove it and throw it away it takes like 4 hours for the smell to go away. I've yet to determine the cause?
Is it when he eats eggs?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My leopard too has very stinky poops. My Russian is so earthy smelly like strong mushrooms! Maggie you missed out on adopting a Shitbull that is what we called them when I worked at a shelter years ago! 3 cups in and 2 lbs out!
That's what I will call him now. I like that lol

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
That last picture he's beautiful. Eastern?
Y and I used to remark on newbies who found a turtle/tortoise, and with all our length of experience neither of us has ever found one. I love box turtles and have a hard time when someone turns a box turtle into me adopting it out. I'd probably have 1 Sulcata and 1 Gopherus agassizzi and a buncha boxies if it were up to me
100_4333.JPG
Both my Sulcata have the runs, and I'm thinking it is meals like this causing that
100_4827.JPG
100_4804.JPG
I gave my yearlings a big snail. They love slugs so I thought they might like a snail. NOT! One guy did eat it, but the rest of them weren't interested in it.
100_3920.JPG100_3910.JPG100_3910.JPG

Last edited:

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
That last picture he's beautiful. Eastern?
Y and I used to remark on newbies who found a turtle/tortoise, and with all our length of experience neither of us has ever found one. I love box turtles and have a hard time when someone turns a box turtle into me adopting it out. I'd probably have 1 Sulcata and 1 Gopherus agassizzi and a buncha boxies if it were up to me
View attachment 302727
Both my Sulcata have the runs, and I'm thinking it is meals like this causing that
View attachment 302728
View attachment 302729
I gave my yearlings a big snail. They love slugs so I thought they might like a snail. NOT! One guy did eat it, but the rest of them weren't interested in it.
View attachment 302730View attachment 302731View attachment 302731
I REALLY LIKE THE WALL ART AMD THE SHELF WITH THE CACTUS!