THE NUT HOUSE

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
OMG i think I actually successfully BAKED something. It is a little weird looking with some strange looking bubbles in it it’s slightly burned because I forgot about it again and it was supposed to have the shape of a Bundt pan but it kind of shriveled away in the Bundt pan and the shape kind of disappeared but I made a passion fruit cake from scratch. Ha. Now I’m going to whip up a glaze with some lemon that I had to buy at the store because my lemon tree is dead and give it to my friend who will probably become an ex friend because it’s probably a rubbery brick for her birthday tomorrow. I’m kind of excited. I’m calling it my leopard tortoise cake because it kind of looks like a leopard tortoise. The lumpy glaze will cover all the flaws I’m sure. This makes up for the stupid scone disasters that I’ve been having. At least this looks semi-edible.

Attachments

• 17FC7BD0-516F-481A-B7E5-BE8A2465C356.jpeg
    17FC7BD0-516F-481A-B7E5-BE8A2465C356.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Oh no! HELP!!!! How do you make lemon glaze anyone? I don’t have any powdered sugar so what can I use to substitute for it? I have castor sugar, brown sugar, honey, and granulated regular sugar. I have mascarpone cheese and maybe I can squirt some lemon in it and put some regular honey in it and then it’ll taste sweet and seem kind of lemony?? Cook sugars with lemon juice and dump on the cake?? Hopefully somebody can tell me by tomorrow because I’m trying to look on the Internet and I can’t figure out what to do without the damn powdered sugar.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
OMG i think I actually successfully BAKED something. It is a little weird looking with some strange looking bubbles in it it’s slightly burned because I forgot about it again and it was supposed to have the shape of a Bundt pan but it kind of shriveled away in the Bundt pan and the shape kind of disappeared but I made a passion fruit cake from scratch. Ha. Now I’m going to whip up a glaze with some lemon that I had to buy at the store because my lemon tree is dead and give it to my friend who will probably become an ex friend because it’s probably a rubbery brick for her birthday tomorrow. I’m kind of excited. I’m calling it my leopard tortoise cake because it kind of looks like a leopard tortoise. The lumpy glaze will cover all the flaws I’m sure. This makes up for the stupid scone disasters that I’ve been having. At least this looks semi-edible.
It's the thought that counts!!!!!
Besides, you're a doctor... You can patch her up. ?
I bet she'll be so happy you made the effort, you won't even need to put a band-aid in your friendship.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
It's the thought that counts!!!!!
Besides, you're a doctor... You can patch her up. ?
I bet she'll be so happy you made the effort, you won't even need to put a band-aid in your friendship.
Thank you, you’re very kind. If you’re still there what do I do about glazing it? I can’t run to the store. I read a thing online about making a syrup by boiling sugar until it dissolves and then adding the lemon but I’m not sure if that’s meant to be a glaze or if that’s meant to be syrupy soaking stuff. The cake smells really good and smells like passionfruit but it’s quite dry when I kind of poke at it. Might benefit from for some syrup but I’m out of passionfruit And have no fruit in the house other than blueberries or lemon.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
I can’t believe it! I found a recipe that tells you you can make your own powdered sugar with a food processor and granulated sugar so I’m gonna go grind a bunch of sugar and make my glaze. Brace yourself for the awesome picture of my glazed cake.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Oh no! HELP!!!! How do you make lemon glaze anyone? I don’t have any powdered sugar so what can I use to substitute for it? I have castor sugar, brown sugar, honey, and granulated regular sugar. I have mascarpone cheese and maybe I can squirt some lemon in it and put some regular honey in it and then it’ll taste sweet and seem kind of lemony?? Cook sugars with lemon juice and dump on the cake?? Hopefully somebody can tell me by tomorrow because I’m trying to look on the Internet and I can’t figure out what to do without the damn powdered sugar.
I don't really cook. Certainly not for other people. If I were going to make something edible to share with someone else, I would first have to fit heavy duty plastic sheeting at the entrances to the kitchen. It would look like there were laboratory biosafety protocols in use by the time I was done. And that's before baking or cooking for consumption outside of the household. I might have to overhaul the air conditioning so the kitchen would be on its own ventilation system.

Why? You see, around my house... Cat hair is an airborne hazard. ?
Normal precautions just don't cut it.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
So I went to get my lemons...I think the one is OK maybe? I’m going for it. I’ll treat people if they get poisoned.

Attachments

• DF09EF62-66FE-4BBA-9114-E323835AAFBC.jpeg
    DF09EF62-66FE-4BBA-9114-E323835AAFBC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I can’t believe it! I found a recipe that tells you you can make your own powdered sugar with a food processor and granulated sugar so I’m gonna go grind a bunch of sugar and make my glaze. Brace yourself for the awesome picture of my glazed cake.
I'm relieved! Trust me, you really don't want me giving tech support in the kitchen.
Unless it's how to blanch slices of zucchini in the microwave so I can hand feed a certain bearded dragon.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
@Lokkje If you were a chemist and cooking-challenged, there might be cause for concern. However, microbiologists get let off the hook completely.

It's in a policy somewhere.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Hmm. Didn’t quite turn out how I wanted it to and the glaze is a little grainy and a little moldy tasting and it wouldn’t stay on the top of the cake like I had hoped, however, hopefully it isn’t poisonous and it’s the thought that counts. Right? At least note the pristine stove top underneath that’s never used for cooking so it’s absolutely gleaming and polished. I’m rather proud of it.

Attachments

• 0E37A51B-0971-4E4C-80C0-344EB368592D.jpeg
    0E37A51B-0971-4E4C-80C0-344EB368592D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
I'm relieved! Trust me, you really don't want me giving tech support in the kitchen.
Unless it's how to blanch slices of zucchini in the microwave so I can hand feed a certain bearded dragon.
I want a little beard is so bad. I got the book and read all about them and I found a great source to get a really healthy beardy and my nephews terrified of them. I’m tempted to get one anyway.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I want a little beard is so bad. I got the book and read all about them and I found a great source to get a really healthy beardy and my nephews terrified of them. I’m tempted to get one anyway.
If you get a beardie with the hypomelanistic trait, their beard won't be as dark. That would probably be slightly less intimidating for your nephew.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Hmm. Didn’t quite turn out how I wanted it to and the glaze is a little grainy and a little moldy tasting and it wouldn’t stay on the top of the cake like I had hoped, however, hopefully it isn’t poisonous and it’s the thought that counts. Right? At least note the pristine stove top underneath that’s never used for cooking so it’s absolutely gleaming and polished. I’m rather proud of it.
So shiny and pretty! ?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
@Lokkje I don't know if it will help with your nephew or not, but beardies don't have fangs. They have tiny little teeth all the same size, not fangs like a snake.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I am suitably impressed and proud as well ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
If I can't have one, you can't either. And...I don't believe you for a hot second about baking. While I DID laugh at you (sorry), personally, I think you are full of it, Doc. I'm thinkin you are just like Chubbs. Can't believe you

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
If I can't have one, you can't either. And...I don't believe you for a hot second about baking. While I DID laugh at you (sorry), personally, I think you are full of it, Doc. I'm thinkin you are just like Chubbs. Can't believe you
I'm assuming that you meant you'd like a small beardie, not that you were growing a beard. hahahahahahaha

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
I love it!