The peaceful joys of tortoise keeping

mylittlecholla

Location (City and/or State)
Fillmore, California
A lovely afternoon, sunny but cool, today just lying around in the grass with my beautiful Chelonian baby, as she basked, and grazed, and tromped through her food dish or just relaxed in a modified "superman position" while gazing upon me with pleasant satisfaction.

What a balm to relieve stress!

It never ceases to amaze me that Cholla seems actually to enjoy my company and my husband's. She shows significantly more bright-eyed energy and appetite if we're hanging out with her. Other times she "rides around" with us swe carry her gently in our hands, her neck stretched yet relaxed, turning her little head from side to side, looking about her with serene interest. Or usually she's serene. Sometimes instead she's stretching her neck and urgently pumping her little legs in anticipation of motating around in her own personal domain.

Today she showed a significantly more enthusiastic appetite today than she's had in the past month. weeks. It's fun to watch her she's trying and enjoying new foods. Until a couple of days ago she showed zero interest in chomping the Bermuda grass in her enclosure; for some reason in the last few days she's developed a taste for it. Similary, after turning her nose up at Mazuri for months, today she was consuming it with gusto.

I've learned from this forum that tortoise husbandry is considerably more expensive, delicate and complex than I was led to believe when Cholla first came to live with us--but believe me, she's worth it. Being with her puts me into a kind of blissed-out Zen state.

My only concern is that when, when I return to full-time, on-site, in-person teaching (next fall) I won't be able to commune with her the way I do now. But for the time being, I'm loving the hours I can spend in Tortoise
Nirvana.

Best wishes to all of you and your tortie pals!

Last edited:

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Wow I am jealous. My male Russian like to stare at me while he mounts a potted plant in his enclosure. Now my Leopard loves to let my wife scratch his neck, but I have to work for it! BTW both have given me multiple clear signals to show they are males. ?
Great stories by both of you. I'm thinking I'm just a few months away from nirvana when I move & get my tort!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoise keeping is easy and enjoyable when you just have the right set up.

I'm currently getting a whirlwind tour of some amazing tortoise compounds in FL right now. Man, I didn't know what tortoise Nirvana was until I saw some of these places. At one place its a 30-40 minute walk to get through a few several acre tortoise pens in what feels like a jungle with all sorts of trees and palms interspersed with open areas to grow grass, bask or lay. Giant tortoises scattered everywhere. Another place is acres of open grassy plains with built in ponds, heavy wooden fencing, shade trees, weeds, edible tortoise plants everywhere, an entire field of opuntia with 100s of plants and so many giant torts that I couldn't even begin to count them. Grassy baby/juenile enclosures that put my 35x40 foot pen to shame. Baby enclosures that wrap around with different sections that can be opened or closed to let grass re-grow, and more than 50 long strides to get across.

I've never seen anything like these places. I'm lucky to be here. So much inspiration.Talk about Nirvana...

Ddflinn

SPRING VALLEY CA
A lovely afternoon, sunny but cool, today just lying around in the grass with my beautiful Chelonian baby, as she basked, and grazed, and tromped through her food dish or just relaxed in a modified "superman position" while gazing upon me with pleasant satisfaction.

What a balm to relieve stress!

It never ceases to amaze me that Cholla seems actually to enjoy my company and my husband's. She shows significantly more bright-eyed energy and appetite if we're hanging out with her. Other times she "rides around" with us swe carry her gently in our hands, her neck stretched yet relaxed, turning her little head from side to side, looking about her with serene interest. Or usually she's serene. Sometimes instead she's stretching her neck and urgently pumping her little legs in anticipation of motating around in her own personal domain.

Today she showed a significantly more enthusiastic appetite today than she's had in the past month. weeks. It's fun to watch her she's trying and enjoying new foods. Until a couple of days ago she showed zero interest in chomping the Bermuda grass in her enclosure; for some reason in the last few days she's developed a taste for it. Similary, after turning her nose up at Mazuri for months, today she was consuming it with gusto.

I've learned from this forum that tortoise husbandry is considerably more expensive, delicate and complex than I was led to believe when Cholla first came to live with us--but believe me, she's worth it. Being with her puts me into a kind of blissed-out Zen state.

My only concern is that when, when I return to full-time, on-site, in-person teaching (next fall) I won't be able to commune with her the way I do now. But for the time being, I'm loving the hours I can spend in Tortoise
Nirvana.

Best wishes to all of you and your tortie pals!
I couldn’t agree more. I have cameras on my torts, so I can rewind when I get back to my desk if I missed something ?