• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

The question I got today…

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
A friend of mine was over looking at my tortoises, and she wanted to know if I was going to breed them. I of course said no but it got me thinking, is this even possible? I have a male pancake and a female russian.
Now before everybody has a total conniption fit, I would not attempt it no matter what. I just was wondering if it was possible to get a viable baby tortoise from this pair. This is a Scientific, hypothetical, animal husbandry question. Not interested in starting an ethical debate here people

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Interesting question. I have no idea. They're similar in size, but certainly not characteristics. I am glad you're not going to try it. ;)

motero

5 Year Member
Arizona
Very, Very, Very, Very, Hugely, Unlikely. But not impossible. That is my opinion.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We've talked about this before, and I think the consensus of opinion was that if they are all in the same genus it would be possible. But I may be mis-remembering.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So that's astrochelys and geochelone, two separate genera.