The RES Rescue laid an egg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The larger (and obviously female) rescue we have in our pond has laid an egg! The rescuer did tell me that she probably needed to lay them. But I know nothing about turtle eggs! Do turtles lay un-fertilized eggs on a regular basis? Do I need to do anything to help? This egg I found was cracked open with a loose yellow "yolk" inside. Please help :)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I assume it was laid on top of ground ? It sounds assume it was unfertilized. I'm not sure if RESs store sperm but it is possible. What is the sex of your second RES ? What is the soil like by the pond ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RES will usually just poop out the eggs in the water if you don't give them a beach area of sand in which to deposit them. Then they will eat them. No big deal. She probably laid a few more besides the one you found, and already ate the contents. Is she with a male? Some water turtles don't lay eggs unless they've been with a male, and some females will lay several clutches a year having NEVER been with a male. You just never know until you see the eggs.

Yvonne

Megan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I really don't know much about her past. She was rescued far from water, with dogs attacking her :( She looks to be in good shape, just some light colored spots on her shell. The rescuer whom I got our DT from doesn't normally do turtle rescue so when she heard I had a pond, she asked me to take two. Surprise! My friend is taking her to his larger pond. We are keeping the smaller RES in our pond. I don't know the sex.

She has not left the pond to lay the eggs even though she is able and there is ample sand/dirt to lay them in all around the pond.

Thanks everyone!

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hello and COOL, lol!

From what I have seen of water torties with eggs, as long as they are not floating on one end, they are viable ~ I was also informed not to change the positioning of the eggs...

I had two water torties that could not be kept as I was moving across country, and so I released them in our acre property that had water along the edges {it was a green belt that ran along the back edge of our property} I was told to be careful not to change the positioning of the eggs when I did such, but since I moved, I have no idea if they did indeed hatch.

Bestest wishes on gaining lots of advice ~
Purpod

Status
Not open for further replies.