The rhythm of the Sonoran Desert

bioteach

10 Year Member!
It's amazing how my Desert Tortoise can predict the weather. Rain is rare here, even in the summer. We hear the Cicadas, we have an explosion of small black beetles, and my DT Sunshine seeks out her little "pond". Every evening when rain is predicted she has her cloaca in the water before it actually does rain. She is probably responding to the increased humidity; but her accuracy is astounding. So much for radar!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's pretty cool that she is consistent and that you were able to pay attention to this and figure it out. Interesting.
I know the wilds know and can predict better then any human or any man made machine. Even aquarium fish know what's going on outside and what the earth is doing.
Just interesting when a human actually sees this.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Would love to see some pics! That's so awesome.

bioteach

10 Year Member!
I'll take a pic the next time that I see her soaking. This morning (5:00 AM) she was in her little pond; but no rain in sight. We had numerous warnings and distant thunder/lightning but the front moved to our north and missed us.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It's amazing how my Desert Tortoise can predict the weather. Rain is rare here, even in the summer. We hear the Cicadas, we have an explosion of small black beetles, and my DT Sunshine seeks out her little "pond". Every evening when rain is predicted she has her cloaca in the water before it actually does rain. She is probably responding to the increased humidity; but her accuracy is astounding. So much for radar!
The guys here will all come out into the open a bit before an earthquake....fun stuff.