The right tortoise for me.

BreadIsPain

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, Florida
I live in Tampa Florida (West Florida), and I was wondering if getting a Russian Tortoise would be the best option. I've not had any other reptiles and I want to make sure the climate here is suitable with a Russian tortoise.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I live in Tampa Florida (West Florida), and I was wondering if getting a Russian Tortoise would be the best option. I've not had any other reptiles and I want to make sure the climate here is suitable with a Russian tortoise.

Sure is. Tampa is a great spot for raising a tortoise! How much space, garden, back yard do you have & can use for your tortoise? Russians, Redfoots, Sulcatas all good, but a lot depends on your available area. Good luck

BreadIsPain

Tampa, Florida
Sure is. Tampa is a great spot for raising a tortoise! How much space, garden, back yard do you have & can use for your tortoise? Russians, Redfoots, Sulcatas all good, but a lot depends on your available area. Good luck
we have a fairly large back yard, but we have a bit of a fire ant problem. I have 2 options. I could have an elevated enclosure, or have a smaller enclosure on my front porch.Which should I do?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
we have a fairly large back yard, but we have a bit of a fire ant problem. I have 2 options. I could have an elevated enclosure, or have a smaller enclosure on my front porch.Which should I do?
Eliminate the fire ants. First and foremost.

@ZEROPILOT is also in FL and can give you tips for what is effective.

rideburton87

5 Year Member
NW burbs, Illinois
If you're looking for something that will get big but not too big I would look in to Star or Leopard tortoises. In my opinion if you save up for a Star it will be worth it when they're large and have a beautiful designed shell. Sulcatas get very big and will take up all of what your yard has to offer. If you do think you want to go the Sulcata route I would suggest visiting a full grown one at a zoo or something so you know exactly what's in store for the years to come.

Sa Ga

MN
Russians are WONDERFUL! Please please please make sure you read the care sheets here and learn about their specific dietary needs, as well as simple care details (like they dig, so you have to have a barrier underground so they don't dig down and out), and Vet care (it is expensive and you must be sure you have access to one that actively treats Russians, as I've seen too many vets think that bc they've treated a turtle or two, they know em all, and they give VERY bad advice as a result!).

Once you are sure your knowledge base is strong and you can commit the time and energy (remember, they can live 80 years!), get set up and THEN get your little guy.

Best wishes and don't hesitate to stop back with ANY questions!

Resized_20200126_195820.jpeg
This is my Russian, Morla, after a rare treat of her fave--broccoli!