THE Road Widening - A Continuing Saga

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
The old pole has been removed, and last Monday was "two weeks." They've not started construction yet.

But, I'm taking advantage of the fact my Texas tortoises are brumating and I'm re-doing their shelter and rotten fence. Over the winter I didn't take care of the grass, allowing it to revert to its wild state. But I've chopped down the Texas tortoise area and started taking down their rotten fence.

Last year one of our Fresno members sold his Manouria to my partner. Having no further use for 'tortoise fence' he asked me if I wanted his fencing. It's that artificial plastic/wood stuff. I'm not one to ever turn away free wood, so I took it. It was a whole pick-up bed full of different lengths pickets. I will plant 4x4s and attach 2x4s and then I've got all those pickets to attach to it! The only trouble is my energy level. I've been working at this portion for about two weeks and haven't gotten much done.

The area I'm working on:

View attachment 342116

You can see the pickets leaning up against the driveway fence.

And here's their old shelter. I've already upgraded the desert tortoises' shelter next door, putting on a hinged roof and insulating with rigid foam:

View attachment 342117
That looks great! I do hope that russian of yours shows his head after all this, but I can't remember, what happened to him?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That looks great! I do hope that russian of yours shows his head after all this, but I can't remember, what happened to him?
We've had nice weather and lots of sunshine, so I'm pretty sure he woke up and took off (fences are down all across the front of the property).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wrecking across the front of my property is underway. Being demolished are several very large cactus plants, a mature flowering pear tree, a couple mature rose bushes, the fir tree I planted in the ground (was a table top christmas tree for when my Texas grand daughter came here several years ago, the south end of the pond and all its cinder blocks, and a whole lot of cement border and redwood fence material.

What it looked like before they started:

Road widening a

The fig tree and the edge of the fir tree:
Road widening b

The flowering pear tree:
Road widening c

One of the piles of cacti:
Road widening d

The fir tree to the left of the bucket, and he's working on getting a eucalyptus stump out of the ground:
Road widening e

Road widening f

One of the rose bushes bites the dust:
Road widening g

The flowering pear tree is about to meet its maker:
Road widening h

Road widening i

Road widening i

I was able to save my old gate:
Road widening j

The south end of the pond and cinderblocks are getting demolished:
Road widening k

All that's left of my fence's footing:
Road widening l

A sad picture:
Road widening m

I was able to save a few cuttings of the cholla, which has a very pretty purple flower. I'm going to see if I can dig through that pile for some cuttings of the orange-flowered one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
End of day three (after they cut my phone line and left me without phone or internet overnight!)

Road widening 5 13 22

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks to me like the new crew working on all this stuff is way different than the last one. That's downright rude.
It's a much bigger operation. The first contractor crew was only a few guys and very personable and friendly. This crew has four big excavators and enough workers that I don't recognize any of them.

Even though my phone line was clearly marked he still dug it up and broke it. It's like he didn't even care. He has a job to do and he's doing it regardless of what gets in the way. I was worried I'd be without phone all week end, but thank goodness AT& T's repair service works week ends.

Cathie G

Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's a much bigger operation. The first contractor crew was only a few guys and very personable and friendly. This crew has four big excavators and enough workers that I don't recognize any of them.

Even though my phone line was clearly marked he still dug it up and broke it. It's like he didn't even care. He has a job to do and he's doing it regardless of what gets in the way. I was worried I'd be without phone all week end, but thank goodness AT& T's repair service works week ends.
Good. Maybe At+t'll remind the idiots that you are tearing up people's homes.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

was it just your phone line or others also?