The Sad Day I saw coming :(

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Well for you guys who have been concerned for my young sick p.pardalis she was dead this morning :( Although I did all that was in my power to revive her I'm just sick to my stomach. It was honestly a strange experience of how "up and down" her health was. The strangest thing was she actually looked much better yesterday because I did a really long warm soak and her eyes clear up and she pooped out some very mucusy (if that's a word) poop and they have alot of mucus that she passed either from her cloaca or out her mouth. Apparently even though she didn't have a bubbly nose, she was still dealing with a URI which is so strange because her temps were kept high since that first night she got sick. I honestly thought the longer than usual soak helped her pass the mucus and that she would be on the upswing but sadly I found her dead this morning.

So this is my lesson learned. Don't ever fall asleep on your baby tortoises and don't stop baby food soaks until they are WEEKS into a full recovery. I really do think my stopping the baby food soaks prematurely is what allowed the URI to take over again.

I want to thank all of you for your concern and input on this sad journey. It's NEVER EVER easy to deal with. I've dealt with many many sick box turtles in the past so I know this feeling. When they recovery is complete JOY but when they don't it's quite hard to deal with. You always wonder "what if" this "what if" that.

I am thankful though that my other 7 pardalis are absolutely great and thriving. Take care everyone. I will post the link to the entire story that way others can learn from my mistake. I will also post her last picture alive where her eyes cleared up and I had a day of hope before she was found dead.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-81485.html

ImageUploadedByTortForum1386866754.016067.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh, darn it, Byron...that is sad news. I was pulling for this one.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry you lost your lil'one. I'm glad you are sharing the experience so others can learn. I do hope you won't beat yourself up, as it really sounds like you were doing everything right. Sometimes we just can't win, and nature will do what she pleases according to her whims

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Yvonne G said:
Oh, darn it, Byron...that is sad news. I was pulling for this one.

Thanks Yvonne. I really was confident in her recovery early on and although I suspect stopping the baby food soaks was a big part in her regression, I think she may have had a more severe condition earlier on. I haven't had an appetite all morning because of this. It just completely stinks. It's all part of the highs and lows of raising animals

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, I am so, so, sorry. We do know you gave her every chance. Darn it, I hate these kinds of threads. At least she had a chance. With someone else, she may not have. Again, so sorry:(

ulkal

5 Year Member
I am so sorry your baby died. Please do not be too hard on yourself you did all you could. All the best.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
NO parasites were found. =( I thought that may have been a factor but it ended up coming back negative

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I'm so sorry your little one passed. It sure sounds like you did everything possible for her.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh man, this seriously sucks. We were all sure, at least I was, that all would be fine with this little one. I am so very sorry to read this news. We all know you did the best you could. These babies are so fragile. It really makes me wonder sometimes how they did not all go extinct with the dinosaurs. But I guess the world is big and there are always a percentage that hide and seek the elements and danger. Like Lonesome George for instance, when they found him. I am so sorry. My heart breaks for you! : (

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
As much as it sucks its unfortunately something we all face eventually being pet owners. The positive aspect behind it is that hopefully my story will help prevent other hatchlings from ending up in similar situations. Plus it was great to get such good advice from people who were truly concerned.

It will be nice to continue to share the growth of my others with the forum, but man I wish she was part of it. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
If a sparrow doesn't fall unnoticed, then your Leopard didn't either.

You purchased from a few different vendors, right? Did this little one come alone or with another?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Team Gomberg said:

You purchased from a few different vendors, right? Did this little one come alone or with another?

it came alone. the others are from ATC. I don't hold it against the vendor though. I've dealt with them in the past and were more than happy. I think it may have been triggered in shipping possibly.

diamondbp said:
Team Gomberg said:

it came alone. the others are from ATC. I don't hold it against the vendor though. I've dealt with them in the past and were more than happy. I think it may have been triggered in shipping possibly.

Just to make sure people read that correctly. My tortoises from ATC are doing great

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Sorry for your lost but thank you very much for sharing this experiences with us so as a newbie, we can learn from this. Thanks.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
So very sorry for your loss. This little one had a lot of ppl rooting for her. You certainly did everything humanly possible.
You have a kind heart, to be sure.
Just curious.... what is the range in age of your 6 kids?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Heather only my oldest (my son) pays attention at the moment so he was upset but it was mainly Dad who was upset.

My kids mainly adore the big tortoises.