The Sad Day I saw coming :(

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
OMG im so sorry for your loss :( I know you did everything you could.
this scares the crap out of me....
my gpp as you know is from the same vendor and purchased 2 weeks apart and is thriving so I would agree I dnt think it is the vendor.
Im glad your other babies are doing well!

tkoehle

5 Year Member
diamondbp said:
Well for you guys who have been concerned for my young sick p.pardalis she was dead this morning :( Although I did all that was in my power to revive her I'm just sick to my stomach. It was honestly a strange experience of how "up and down" her health was. The strangest thing was she actually looked much better yesterday because I did a really long warm soak and her eyes clear up and she pooped out some very mucusy (if that's a word) poop and they have alot of mucus that she passed either from her cloaca or out her mouth. Apparently even though she didn't have a bubbly nose, she was still dealing with a URI which is so strange because her temps were kept high since that first night she got sick. I honestly thought the longer than usual soak helped her pass the mucus and that she would be on the upswing but sadly I found her dead this morning.

So this is my lesson learned. Don't ever fall asleep on your baby tortoises and don't stop baby food soaks until they are WEEKS into a full recovery. I really do think my stopping the baby food soaks prematurely is what allowed the URI to take over again.

I want to thank all of you for your concern and input on this sad journey. It's NEVER EVER easy to deal with. I've dealt with many many sick box turtles in the past so I know this feeling. When they recovery is complete JOY but when they don't it's quite hard to deal with. You always wonder "what if" this "what if" that.

I am thankful though that my other 7 pardalis are absolutely great and thriving. Take care everyone. I will post the link to the entire story that way others can learn from my mistake. I will also post her last picture alive where her eyes cleared up and I had a day of hope before she was found dead.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-81485.html

I am so sorry, my leopard tortoise I think is sick also so I have an idea of what you went through. My does want to seem to eat and all she does is sleeps. I even put her in her water bowl and she got he two front legs out and just layed there and fell asleep. She seems to be so weak and I have been asking around. And doing the best I can cause that all us tortoise owners can do is the best we can.