The suspect egg...Warning! picture is graphic

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stells

The Morrocan egg i posted about a while back which i suspected to be twins has hatched....

and i was right it was twins... it has been the most horrific experience i have had to date with the tortoises...

I have one normal living twin and one dead deformed twin.... the living one is doing well and has now been tied off from her sibling but is very very tiny... so keep your fingers crossed for her please....

The dead deformed one... had no eyes... a deformed jaw... a deformed leg and her heart and what looks like her lungs on the outside of her body.... she was alive last night... but when i looked this morning she had passed.... which is a blessing really....

I do have pictures but i won't post them as they may be upsetting to some people....

Stazz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
RE: The suspect egg...

Ohhhhh Kelly, Im sorry to hear about the one twin, but also so happy to hear that its not suffering anymore. Fantastic you have one healthy one though. I will pray for her bigtime

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada

O no Kelly :( I am so sorry to hear it was twins after all. It must have been horible for you to see the little dead one :(. I am glad the other one is alive, My fingers are crossed.

shelber10

10 Year Member!
long island NY

oh i am sorry to hear that:( i hope the other hatchling is alright

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

I wish you would post the pictures, I for one would love to see it. Perhaps with a note in both the thread title and then within the thread before the picture warning folks it's graphic in nature?

Where were the two joined at? Appearantly some point like on the shell, since your trying to tie it off? The small one was strong enough to break out of the shell on it's own?

S

stells

They were joined by the yolk sack so that had to be tied off and then a snip with scissors to seperate the two.... The small one got a helping hand... she was positioned at the top of the egg... head up... usually they come out on the side of the egg... so she was having problems reaching the top of the egg...

Here are the pics... decided to post as i have done on SW and people have been grateful for the info...

Still attached...
eggs019.jpg

The deformed twin
eggs022-1.jpg

eggs023-1.jpg

The underside (don't look if squeamish)

eggs024.jpg

The scarey thing is the deformed twin was actually alive in the egg last night... i could see the heart on the outside beating away... i had to leave it as it was as the yolk was to large last night to risk the split... this morning she had passed though... which to be honest i was pleased about.... last night poor Danny had me being tearful and physically sick... while he was on the phone trying to eat his dinner.... and he got an early morning call this morning (3am his time)...

I'm not sure if Baby is going to make it and have no pics of her yet as i want to leave her in peace in the incubator... i am checking regularly but the last few hours i have seen her weaken somewhat... we really do need a miracle...

Sorry folks i don't seem to be able to put a warning in the thread title.... due to the 30 min rule on edits.... do we need this rule??

I do apologise to anyone the pictures may upset

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Sorry to hear about this experience that you've been through Kelly. It must have been very hard for you. Prayers for your little one that he/she will make it through. I didn't have any problems with the pictures you had titled them well enough if I didn't want to look, but I wanted to learn so I did. I'm sure Danny didn't mind the calls that's what couples do. Good luck and keep us updated.

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't think you need to apologize to anyone. You posted a warning that it wasn't pretty so anybody who's squeemish shouldn't have looked. I am sorry you had to go thru that tho. I know it's nature but it sure wasn't anything pleasant for you. I am hoping the twin that's left is still alive and will make it for you...keep us posted...

way2gfy

5 Year Member
Wow, sorry about your heartaches. I hope your little baby becomes your miracle baby. I used to breed birds and I had a few miracle babies.

Thank you for the pictures and I hope to see some of the other baby soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
maggie3fan said:
I don't think you need to apologize to anyone. You posted a warning that it wasn't pretty so anybody who's squeemish shouldn't have looked. I am sorry you had to go thru that tho. I know it's nature but it sure wasn't anything pleasant for you. I am hoping the twin that's left is still alive and will make it for you...keep us posted...

She apologized before I changed her topic to "warning"

Yvonne

Madortoise

5 Year Member
I am so sorry, Kelly, for the poor twin that had passed. How sad for you...but like you said, it was for the best.
I'll pray for the other one. He looks alert and cute.

S

stells

Sorry... bad news i'm afraid... Baby passed away this evening... she grew increasing weaker as the day went on...

Thanks for all positive comments...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its strange that there are so many different types of animals that are obviously not meant to deliver twins. This happen frequently in horses too. I'm sorry that the one baby didn't make it. Its always hard to see the egg develop and wait in anticipation then to have it die.

Yvonne

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Awwww Kelly, that is such sad news! I was praying for the little one. Even though the pics are hectic, they really are educational. I now see why you really don't want twins in an egg !!!!! Sending our little condolences

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
this question goes out to people who have had eggs hatch since in the wild it would be hard to tell. How rare/common is twin turtles developing in the same egg, I myself have never heard of this and while sad i am intrigued by it.

S

stells

I have heard of a few sets... most of which have died but sometimes you do get the odd miracle where either both or one do survive... a friend of mine had twin Hermanns a couple of years ago which did both make it... in the wild they wouldn't survive...

These two just weren't meant to be sadly.... when baby was trying to bite me i did notice she had no pinkness in her mouth it was very pale and yellow.... so there must have been something internally wrong.... but i did hope that it might pink up as she absorbed the yolk... and was hanging on to any bit of hope there was.... where as on the other twin all deformities could be seen...

I really do hope i never ever have a twin egg again.... it has been an experience i really didn't want....

Status
Not open for further replies.