The Tort Who Walked By Herself. By Tidgy's Dad.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Then the Tort pretended to be sorry and said, ' Must I never come into the Cave? Must I never sit by the warm fire or in a thermostatically controlled enclosure? Must I never eat the juicy green prickly pear fruit? You are very wise and very beautiful. You should not be cruel even to a Tort."
20200913_223326-1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
' And if you say two words in my praise?' said the Tort.
' I never shall,' said wifey, ' but if I say two words in your praise, you may sit by the fire in the Cave. Until we've invented thermostatically controlled enclosures."
20200915_234050-1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
' And if you say three words?' said the Tort.
' I never shall,' said wifey, ' but if I say three words in your praise, you may eat the juicy green prickly pear fruit and the ripe red tomatoes and the crunchy, munchy lettuce throughout the day for always and always and always. Until we realize that it's best to feed you dandelions and weeds. And until someone invents Mazuri.'
20200916_232245-1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Then the Tort stretched her neck and said, ' Now let the Curtain at the mouth of the Cave, and the Fire at the back of the Cave, and the Food Dish that stands beside the Fire, remember what my Enemy and wifey of my Enemy has said.' And she went away through the Wet Wild Woods waving her stubby wild tail and walking by her wild lone.
20200917_211955-1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
That night when Adam and the Horse and the Dog came home from hunting, wifey did not tell them of the bargain that she had made with the Tort, because she was afraid that they might not like it.
20200919_004331-1-1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Tort went far and far away and hid herself in the Wet Wild Woods by her wild lone for a long time till wifey forgot all about her. Only the Bat -- the little upside-down Bat -- that hung inside the Cave knew where Tort hid; and every evening Bat would fly to Tort with news of what was happening.
20200918_231716.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
'Ah, ' said the Tort, listening. 'But what is the Baby fond of?'
' He is fond of things that are soft and tickle' said the Bat. ' He is fond of warm things to hold in his arms when he goes to sleep. He is fond of being played with. He is fond of all of those things.'
1600733031542.png

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Next night Tort walked through the Wet Wild Woods and hid very near the Cave till morning-time, and Adam and Dog and Horse went hunting. wifey was busy cooking that morning, and the Baby cried and interrupted. So she carried him outside the Cave and gave him a handful of fossils to play with. But still the baby cried.
20200930_010437-1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Then the Tort put out her cutie paw and patted the Baby on the cheek, and it cooed; and the Tort rubbed against its fat knees and tickled it under its fat chin with her stubby tail. And the Baby laughed; and wifey heard him and smiled.
20201002_165033.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Then the Bat -- the little upside-down Bat -- that hung in the mouth of the Cave said, ' O my Hostess and wifey of my Host and Mother of my Host's So, a Wild Thing from the Wild Woods is most beautifully playing with your Baby.'
download.png

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
"A blessing on that Wild Thing whoever he may be,' said wifey, straightening her back, 'for I was a very busy woman this morning and he has done me a service."

That very minute and second, Best Beloved, the dried horse-skin Curtain that was stretched tail-down at the mouth of the Cave fell down -
1601858238335.png
- because it remembered the bargain she had made with the Tort; and when wifey went to pick it up -- lo and behold! -- the Tort was sitting quite comfy inside the Cave.
20201004_193018.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
' Oh my Enemy and wifey of my Enemy and Mother of my Enemy,' said the Tort, ' it is I: for you have spoken a word in my praise, and now I can sit within the Cave for always and always and always. Until you invent nice thermostatically temperature controlled enclosures. But I am still the Tort who walks by herself, and all places are alike to me.'
wifey was very angry, and shut her lips tight and took up her knitting needles and began to knit.
20201006_013540.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
But the Baby cried because the Tort had gone away, and wifey could not hush it, for it struggled and kicked and grew red in the face.
20201007_001835-1.jpg
' O my Enemy and wifey of my Enemy and Mother of my Enemy,' said the Tort, ' take a strand of the wool that you are knitting and tie it to a tomato and drag it along the floor, and I will show you a Magic that shall make your Baby laugh as loudly as he is now crying.'

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
' I will do so,' said wifey, 'because I am at my wits' end; but I will not thank you for it.'
She tied the wool to a tomato and drew it along the floor, and the Tort ran after it and nudged it with her nose, and stretched out her neck really far, and opened her so wide mouth so you could see her pale pink tongue sticking out, an she chased it around the floor and batted it with her claws and sometimes seemed to lose sight of it, and the pounced on it again, till the Baby laughed as loudly as it had been crying, and scrambled after the Tort and frolicked all over the Cave till it grew tired and settled down to sleep with the Tort in its arms.
20201008_012231-1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
INTERLUDE 2

This is the picture of the Tort who Walked by Herself, walking by her wild lone through the Wet Wild Woods and waving her wild stubby tail. There is nothing else in the picture except some toadstools. They had to grow there because the Woods were so wet. The lumpy thing on the low branch isn't a bird's nest. It is moss that grew there because the Wild Woods were so wet.
Underneath the truly picture is a picture of the cosy Cave that Adam and wifey went to after the (fictional) Baby came. It was their summer Cave, and they planted wheat in front of it. Adam is riding on the Horse to find the Cow and bring her back to the Cave to be milked. He is holding up his hand to call the Dog, who has swum across to the other side of the river, looking for rabbits.
20201009_015856.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
' Now,' said the Tort, 'I'm going to invent the hard bolster pillow and perform a magic that will keep the Baby asleep for an hour. ' And the Baby rested its head on the still as a rock Tort and fell asleep. wifey smiled as she looked down on the two of them, and said, ' That was wonderfully done. No question but you are very clever, O Tort.'
20201012_013457-1.jpg