The Tort Who Walked By Herself. By Tidgy's Dad.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
That very minute and second, Best Beloved, the smoke of the Fire at the back of the Cave came down in clouds from the roof -- puff! --1602563655975.png
because it remembered the bargain she had made with the Tort; and when it had cleared away -------lo and behold!-----the Tort was sitting quite comfy close to the fire.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
' O my Enemy and wifey of my Enemy and Mother of my Enemy,' said the Tort, 'it is I; for you have spoken a second word in my praise, and now I can sit by the warm fire at the back of the Cave for always and always and always until someone invents temperature controlled enclosures. But still I am the Tort who walks by herself, and all places are alike to me.'
Happy.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Then wifey was very very angry, and let down her hair and put more wood on the fire and brought out the broad blade-bone of the shoulder of mutton and began to make a Magic that should prevent her from saying a third word in praise of the Tort. It was not a Singing Magic, Best Beloved, it was a Still Magic; and by and by the Cave grew so still that a little wee-wee prickly pear fruit crept out of a corner and ran across the floor.
20201014_201547-1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
' Oh my Enemy and wifey of my Enemy and Mother of my Enemy,' said the Tort, 'is that little fruit part of your Magic?'
'Ouh! Chee! No indeed!' said the fructophobic wifey, and she dropped the blade-bone and jumped upon the footstool in front of the fire and braided up her hair very quick for fear that the fruit should run up it.
20201014_201824-1-1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
' Ah,' said the Tort, watching. 'Then the prickly pear fruit will do me no harm if I eat it?"
' No' said wifey, braiding up her hair, 'eat it quickly and I will be ever grateful to you.'
Tort made a few high steps and caught the little fruit, and wifey said, ' A hundred thanks. Even the First friend is not smart enough to catch little prickly pear fruits as you have done. You must be very wise.'
20201015_021910-1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
That very minute and second, O Best Beloved, the Food Bowl that stood by the fire cracked into pieces ----
1602982672339.png20201017_002207.jpg
---- because it remembered the bargain she had made with the Tort; and when wifey jumped down from the footstool ---- lo and behold! the Tort was lapping up the clear pure water that lay in one of the pieces.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
' O my Enemy and wifey of my Enemy and Mother of my Enemy,' said the Tort, 'it is I: for you have spoken three words in my praise, and now I can drink the clear, pure water three times a day for always and always and always. But still I am the Tort who walks by herself, and all places are alike to me.'
20200215_014309-1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Then wifey laughed and and set the Tort a bowl of the clear, pure water and said, ' O Tort, you are as clever as a man, (hmm, bit mysogynistic, some of this. Apologies.) but remember that your bargain was not made with Adam or the Dog, and I do not know what they will do when they come home.'
20201020_005009-1-1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
' What is that to me?' said the Tort. 'If I have my place in the Cave by the fire and my clear, pure water three times a day and nice food to eat I do not care what Adam or the Dog can do'
Mucky pup3.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
That evening when Adam and the Dog came into the Cave, wifey told them all the story of the bargain, while the Tort sat by the fire and smiled. Then Adam said, 'Yes, but she has not made a bargain with me or with all proper Men after me. (No True Scotsman Fallacy 5c8d1c3297823_default_shakehead.gif) Then he took off his two leather boots and he took up his little wooden stick (that makes three) and he fetched a piece or rock and Harry the Geological Hammer (that is five altogether), and he set them out in a row and he said, ' Now we will make our bargain. If you do not catch runaway fruit and veg when you are in the Cave for always and always and always, I will throw these five things at you whenever I see you, and so shall all proper Men do after me.'
20201022_011639-1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
' Ah! ' said wifey, listening. 'This is a very clever Tort, but she is not so clever as my Adam.'
The Tort counted the five things (and they looked very knobby) and she said, 'I will catch runaway fruit and veg when I am in the Cave for always and always and always; but still I am the Tort who walks by herself, and all places are alike to me.'
20201024_021531-1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
' Not when I am near,' said Adam. 'If you had not said that last I would have put these things away for always and always and always; but now I am going to kick you with my boots and flip you over onto your back to watch you struggle, just for fun, and call you slow and stupid (that makes three) whenever I meet you. And so shall all proper Men do after me!'
20201025_025535-1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Then the Dog said, ' Wait a minute. She has not made a bargain with me or with all proper Dogs after me.' And he showed his teeth and said, ' If you are not kind to the Baby while I am in the Cave for always and always and always, I will hunt you till I catch you, and when I catch you I will bite you. And so shall all proper Dogs do after me.'
20201026_020318-1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
' Ah!', said wifey, listening. 'This is a vey clever Tort, but she is not so clever as the Dog.'
Tort counted the Dog's teeth (and they looked very pointed) and she said, 'I will be kind to the Baby while I am in the Cave, as long as he doesn't pull my short, stubby tail too hard, for always and always and always. But still I am the Tort who walks by herself and all places are alike to me.'
20201026_020542-1.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
' Not when I am near," said the Dog. 'I you had not said that last I would have shut my mouth for always and always and always; but now I am going to annoy you occasionally and then treat you as a chew toy when no one is looking. and so shall all proper Dogs after me.'
1603843171088.png

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Then Adam called the Tort slow and stupid, flipped her on her back and watched her struggle and gave her a little kick (that makes three), and the Tort slowly crawled from the Cave and the Dog chased after her and chewed her for a while; and from that day to this, Best Beloved, three proper Men out of five will always call a Tortoise slow and stupid whenever they meet her, and all proper Dogs will use her as a chew toy when no one is looking. But the Tort keeps her side of the bargain too. She will catch runaway fruit and veg and will amuse babies when she is in the house, just as long as they don't twist her legs too hard. But when she has done that, and between times, and when the sun rises early in the morning, or begins to go down at dusk, she is the Tort that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her. Then she goes out into the Wet Wild Woods or into the Dry Sub-Sahara or across the Great Grassy Plains, waving her short stubby tail and walking by her wild lone.
photo-of-galapagos-tortoise-Adam.jpg.4e6fc9cfe5c45179078db789bc8c692c.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Then Adam called the Tort slow and stupid, flipped her on her back and watched her struggle and gave her a little kick (that makes three), and the Tort slowly crawled from the Cave and the Dog chased after her and chewed her for a while; and from that day to this, Best Beloved, three proper Men out of five will always call a Tortoise slow and stupid whenever they meet her, and all proper Dogs will use her as a chew toy when no one is looking. But the Tort keeps her side of the bargain too. She will catch runaway fruit and veg and will amuse babies when she is in the house, just as long as they don't twist her legs too hard. But when she has done that, and between times, and when the sun rises early in the morning, or begins to go down at dusk, she is the Tort that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her. Then she goes out into the Wet Wild Woods or into the Dry Sub-Sahara or across the Great Grassy Plains, waving her short stubby tail and walking by her wild lone.
View attachment 311846
?