The Tortoise Day Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arvada, Colorado
My Mother has been referring to this as "Tortoise Day Camp" since I really am not sure I will be leaving them out all night. I guess I'm too nervous to do that.

We are growing some Tortoise grass (Carolina Pet Supply seed) in a separate container that will go in their enclosure when it gets a little bigger.

I still have some work to do on the outside/surrounding garden area. I will be planting perennials and probably some other veggies.

Tort Day Camp Corner
Picture%2520007.jpg

Tort Day Camp
Picture%2520006.jpg

Here is Lego Exploring. (Squirt already found his way deep inside one of the hides.)
Picture%2520004.jpg

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Looks Very good, how much is This great camp?
Just joking :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks great. If you know they can't dig out, I would put a top on it for night time. Although I know how you feel. I have a hard time with mine out during the day. I freak the second I can't find him. I probably won't sleep when he is out all night too.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
wellington said:
Looks great. If you know they can't dig out, I would put a top on it for night time. Although I know how you feel. I have a hard time with mine out during the day. I freak the second I can't find him. I probably won't sleep when he is out all night too.

Nope, they cannot dig out. There is a rim around the lower inside of the box. I thought about having a chickenwire frame built for the top of it, but I'm not sure I would want to leave them out all night anyway. For now, I'll just bring them back in the evening. Funny, the space is 3' x 6' and they are both now hiding in the same hide in the corner. All that space and they are still right on top of each other.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Two months later, the plants in the Tortoise Day Camp have grown nicely. They provide some shade now, but I also added a piece of lattice in the back and a temporary piece of wood on top of that. It's been very hot here, so I wanted to give them some extra shade. One of them really likes hanging out under the red chard. They've never tried to the chard or the hibiscus. They did completely mow down two small brussel sprout plants that where in there. I allow a few weeds to take hold in there and they take care of them fairly quickly as well.

Picture%2520035.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.