The Traveling Tortoise! [HELP!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri

Okay so right after Christmas in December - Jimmy, myself, and Squirt will be taking a two week vacation down to SUNNY FLORIDA! :D This will be the first year we take Squirt with us (we usually fly and leave him home).
So heres the question - Does anyone know if there are certain guidelines for taking a sulcata tortoise across state lines? Does he need a clean bill of health from a vet or anything at all?
I would hate to get stopped at a toll booth or anywhere along the way and be questioned about him and not be able to show anything necessary.
Most of you know but we live in Missouri so we will be traveling across quite a few states along the way.
Thank you in advance!

PS- Anyone know of anything close to the Siesta Key (Sarasota) area that is a MUST to visit?? (besides the Aldabras!) :p

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
My Grandmother lives in Sarasota! Siesta Key beach is a MUST it's gorgeous! For food I recommend The Bijou Café a little pricey but worth it! And always great Sam Seltzers EXCELLENT food Love it there!!!

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
I don't know about traveling with a tort, but when we've trailered horses into FL there are papers that they do check at the Ag station. Of course it's kinda hard to sneak a horse trailer past them, so you have to stop, LOL.

Check with their Ag Dept. You should be able to find it online. Just to be on the safe side, I'd get a Health Certificate from your vet. They're usually good for 30 days.

Have a great trip!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
gopherhockey03 said:
My Grandmother lives in Sarasota! Siesta Key beach is a MUST it's gorgeous! For food I recommend The Bijou Café a little pricey but worth it! And always great Sam Seltzers EXCELLENT food Love it there!!!

I agree about the beach, we go every year - whitest sand I've ever seen and we stay right across from the beach! :)

tweeter said:
I don't know about traveling with a tort, but when we've trailered horses into FL there are papers that they do check at the Ag station. Of course it's kinda hard to sneak a horse trailer past them, so you have to stop, LOL.

Check with their Ag Dept. You should be able to find it online. Just to be on the safe side, I'd get a Health Certificate from your vet. They're usually good for 30 days.

Have a great trip!

Thank you - will have to make some calls.

Anyone else know of any information??

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
The only state that I know of that has laws regarding tortoises is Tennessee. I am not aware that Florida has any kind of laws (they just worry about giant snakes!), but you definitely should check each state you plan on driving through.

Chances are, there are no legal issues with traveling with a sulcata. I would still print off all pages regarding wildlife, etc from each state just to have in case you're stopped. You never know if there's a cop or toll booth worker who may want make a name for himself but is completely ignorant of their own state laws (hard to believe, isn't it?). That way, you can pull out the paper work and say, "Hey, I checked and there's NOTHING about sulcata tortoises!"

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Argh! I didn't see your thread before I added mine! I'm in almost the same situation! I'm worried silly! We have a puppy day care by me, but what I need is a tortoise day care! WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO!!!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Made a few phone calls and found out we have to get a clean bill of health from the vet AND have to get a special permit because he's an African Spurred tort. :/ Sounds like a lot of work but guess it'll have to be done.

Anyone have any clues as to if we need to do anything for the states inbetween? The clean bill of health and FL permit should be okay since we are headed there, right?? Ahh the things you'll do to take your tortoise to Florida for vacation!

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
SulcataSquirt said:
Anyone have any clues as to if we need to do anything for the states inbetween? The clean bill of health and FL permit should be okay since we are headed there, right?? Ahh the things you'll do to take your tortoise to Florida for vacation!

Just looking at the map....unless you do some sidetracking, it appears that you will be going through TN at some point. Unless they have revised their laws recently, last time I heard it is illegal to buy/sell/own/keep/trade, etc ANY turtle or tortoise of any size in the state of TN. Judging by the crap Chuck Hurd had to experience getting caught driving through TN with some venomous snakes (he shoulda known the law, but still he and his animals went through more than what was deserved), I would imagine getting caught with a tortoise in your car may not be a great ordeal. You may even want to consider just avoiding TN altogether if its not too much out of the way.

I don't think you'll have a problem with Alabama. We don't care as long as you're not dumping it on the side of the road!

Mississippi has some interesting laws and permits on field herping and even just photographing herps in the wild, so you may want to check MS good.

Dunno about Arkansas.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
when sulcatas are shipped across state lines they are supposed to have a health certificate from a vet.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
ShiningSnakes said:
SulcataSquirt said:

Just looking at the map....unless you do some sidetracking, it appears that you will be going through TN at some point. Unless they have revised their laws recently, last time I heard it is illegal to buy/sell/own/keep/trade, etc ANY turtle or tortoise of any size in the state of TN. Judging by the crap Chuck Hurd had to experience getting caught driving through TN with some venomous snakes (he shoulda known the law, but still he and his animals went through more than what was deserved), I would imagine getting caught with a tortoise in your car may not be a great ordeal. You may even want to consider just avoiding TN altogether if its not too much out of the way.

I don't think you'll have a problem with Alabama. We don't care as long as you're not dumping it on the side of the road!

Mississippi has some interesting laws and permits on field herping and even just photographing herps in the wild, so you may want to check MS good.

Dunno about Arkansas.

Oh boy.. looks like we got our work cut out for us. I will have to check with the lady in FL and see what she things.

dmmj said:
when sulcatas are shipped across state lines they are supposed to have a health certificate from a vet.

We didn't get one with him as a hatchling, looks like we will be making a vet trip!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The gov't is worried about ticks on tortoises coming from Africa. I'm not sure if it applied to tortoises born in the U.S. The ticks were coming from Africa on the snakes and tortoises and were infecting hoofed animals here in the states with some sort of tick fever. As long as your vet writes you up a piece of paper stating the tortoise is tick free, you should be ok.

http://www.anapsid.org/heartwater.html

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
emysemys said:
The gov't is worried about ticks on tortoises coming from Africa. I'm not sure if it applied to tortoises born in the U.S. The ticks were coming from Africa on the snakes and tortoises and were infecting hoofed animals here in the states with some sort of tick fever. As long as your vet writes you up a piece of paper stating the tortoise is tick free, you should be ok.

http://www.anapsid.org/heartwater.html

Thank you Yvonne! I am about to call the vet now and see what kind of information they can give me and make an appointment for next month for Squirt to get a clean bill of health.

Status
Not open for further replies.