The Ulltimate Sulcata Barn....what should it have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swifton

5 Year Member
So right now I keep my sulcata in a rubber maid storage barn with a 4x3 Osborne heating pad running 24/7, a 250 watt red light at night and a 250 watt basking light during the day that is wired by an extension cord out a bedroom window.

I would like to build him a better habitat. I am envisioning something that is basically like a house/barn made of wood with insulated walls and a power outlet actually inside it. I kind of like the idea of heated concrete and a drain in the barn for easy cleaning, and I want it to be big enough he can sit under a basking light if he wants to, or sit away from the light. What kind of set ups do you guys have?

I figure one sulcata is enough for me and probably a lifelong pet, so I want to build him the nicest home possible.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi swifton:

I built regular wood-framed, insulated sheds for my large tortoises. Here are some pictures of the one I built for my Manouria:

manouriashed-10.jpg

manouriashed-16.jpg

Manouriashed-17.jpg

Manouriashed-18.jpg

Inside I have pig blankets and hanging lights. I made it tall enough for me to stand up in so I can easily clean it out.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have a 27 inch sulcata, Right now he is housed near the Potomac River where Southern Maryland is across the river from the Northern Neck area of Virginia,It gets COLD here.What I built is an 8x8 foot with 6 inch thick walls, floor, and roof, house. It is over insulated on all six sides, in the floor I ran 50 linear ft of 1/2 in copper tubing to hook a hot water heater and circulating pump to circulate hot water though to warm the floor,(haven't needed to use it yet) I built the floor upside down so that I could cover it with PVC with caulked seams to keep moisture from getting to the treated wood from the ground. after the PVC was installed I flipped it over and set it on blocks.On all the inside walls after the insulation was in place I covered them with 6 mil poly before the plywood was screwed on.The ceiling is covered in aluminum,The floor was just plywood, but bought rubber flooring a couple years ago, it is much easier to clean and the flooring is holding up real good. I have a 3x4 ft osborne mat also and a 150 watt che for heat, I have two 7watt bulbs one inside for a little light and the other is outside just below the overhang so I can tell that the heat is working by looking at his house and not going to check it all the time. He comes and goes as he pleases. He doesn't use the house in the summer, he has a short tunnel he sleeps in.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
I am a new mom of a 6 year old sullie. We decided to built a house that will last a while. I am located in central Florida so moisture is our issue. We are about to finish the tahj ma Willie. It's 4 by 3 double insulated house. The roof has a 2 1/2 ft slant the front being almost 3 feet tall. Hardy board plus insulation and a cover skin inside. Plain plywood bottom with industrial rubber runner mat secured on the floor. The door way is only 15 inches by 15 inches now but we left a section around it that is easily be cut to fit him. The roof is insulted as well as reinforced with 2 x 4 s. it has shingles and when done will be painted to match my house and the garden shed. An electrical outlet on the front inside corner allows us to either put his red heat lamp inside or when we have those horrible cold night(lol), I have an oil filled heater that fits in the corner with a wooden slat box around it, it is also raised a bit from the floor. Besides a few finishing touches like a door over hang and light, it will be missing a flat screen tv and mini fridge. The lid lifts up and is propped open for cleaning. I can fit inside but love the pooper scoopers on a stick... Washing it out maybe an issue if it has to be sprayed a lot but he floor can be easily hand cleaned. So far bahrain issues inside his " bedroom" has not been a problem, oh we also have a hook and cord holders near the door hat will hold his sun lamp in case we have rainy days. The door is covered by a double heavy duty plastic runner that is cut into slats. Wow after retreading this my kids should be so lucky! Anyway good luck and I love the idea of a drain...

I will post pictures when I have a chance to take ome.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Looks very nice! My only suggestion would be that they need to have a burrow to dig into. Other than that I like it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not every geographical location allows for natural burrows for tortoises. Those of us who live in the colder climates can't allow our tortoises natural burrows.

TotallyTank

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
emysemys said:
Not every geographical location allows for natural burrows for tortoises. Those of us who live in the colder climates can't allow our tortoises natural burrows.

I have provided a wicker laundry basket as a burrow and he loves it he goes there to sleep everynight.

Status
Not open for further replies.