The war on Florida green Iguanas is ON

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Florida Fish and Wildlife has just announced that it is now legal to kill green Iguanas on both public and private lands.
Without specifics on exactly HOW to kill them. I'm sure many will be maimed and tortured and then die.
Talk about too little too late...
There are literally millions of them here.
They seem more common that any other lizard in some areas.
The issue is our warm winters.
It has to get below 50 and stay there for about 72 hours (from what I've seen) to kill them naturally. And that hasnt happened in several years.
These aren't released pets. These are distant relatives are this point.
Sad.
And probably too late to act at all.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Florida Fish and Wildlife has just announced that it is now legal to kill green Iguanas on both public and private lands.
Without specifics on exactly HOW to kill them. I'm sure many will be maimed and tortured and then die.
It has to get below 50 and stay there for about 72 hours (from what I've seen) to kill them naturally. And that hasnt happened in several years.
Sad.
Way too late. They would literally need an army of hunters in each city.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I seen this on the news today. So sad. I dont have to deal with them so dont really know the woes they may cause. However I think its disgusting they are letting people willy nilly kill them.
I wish we had them here, I'd love to have lizards in my yard.

Sulcatafriend

Usa
I have had about 7 iguanas in the last month on my property all of them were pretty aggressive towards me and my dogs
Its nice that they made it legal to kill them but I'm still going to push them out with my broom
Cant kill these cute monsters

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Sad.
Interesting. I'm not aware of what the laws were previously, exactly... Wasn't it legal to kill iguanas on private lands already, since they're invasive? I'm wondering if being able to kill them on public lands somehow un-ties the hands of local governments to get rid of them. Or maybe allow nuisance animal control entities to kill on location (where appropriate), instead of having to live trap.

Perhaps that makes iguanas fair game for hunters. If that's the case, hopefully hunters would be more accurate and more humane than the average citizen. Perhaps the attitude will be (or become) more like dealing with feral swine. A number of places hire hunters to reduce the populations of feral swine.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Check this out.
It's a photo I took while fishing in Miami.
It's a "dispatched" green Iguana with an ALSO invasive Cain toad using him for a raft...And an endless supply of flies to eat!
These two species are unstoppable.

Attachments

• 20190731_125848.jpg
    20190731_125848.jpg
    799.4 KB · Views: 16

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
If only they'd stick to invasive lizards and leave the natives alone...
True.
CURLY TAIL lizards took over officially about 5 years back and it's been at least that long ago that I saw a native Anole.
Those carnivorous Curly Tails are eating machines.
Green iguanas didn't seem to displace any native lizards.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
True.
CURLY TAIL lizards took over officially about 5 years back and it's been at least that long ago that I saw a native Anole.
Those carnivorous Curly Tails are eating machines.
Green iguanas didn't seem to displace any native lizards.
I despise invasive species and the damage they do. If I ever move to FL, I will do my part to eradicate them. If everyone just got rid of one or two invasive lizards, if would make a huge difference.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I despise invasive species and the damage they do. If I ever move to FL, I will do my part to eradicate them. If everyone just got rid of one or two invasive lizards, if would make a huge difference.
I've got a friend that has a side business doing nothing but killing them on customers property with a high powered pellet rifle.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
When I was about 5-6 my mom got me a green iguana. Soon after it jumped off my shoulder and escaped into the bushes in North Lauderdale. So I might actually be patient 0 for the South Florida green iguana outbreak 😂

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Personally in my eyes I think that was a big mistake! (Making a rule you can kill iguanas.) I bet iguanas are going to be endangered in the wild soon. Everyone will want to get their guns out when they see one. I mean I understand they are pests but if they are minding their own business then I think it is very fascinating to watch them. And soon you all are gonna miss seeing a whole bunch on the beach.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The only critter I witnessed attacking an anole in Florida was a big black ant. I couldn't get into the bush far enough to help the poor little darling. That's another, worse invasive species in Florida. Ants.I did see a couple of 4 foot iguanas come crashing down just to sit for awhile in the sun 😎 just imagine an old lady with chicken legs freaking out from her first sight of those giant lizards just lounging in my backyard and you'll know what I thought 😁