The what if game

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Mexico
Thanks all for the encouragement. I scoured her enclosure again last night, even looked thoroughly (again) through the larger yard that hers is fenced from. Tom Here are some enclosure pics, as requested.
The yard is just to the right of our front door. From the road you can not really see there is even a gate, just looks like a tall brick fence. You would have to walk all the way up to the door to see.
F435DD4B-6833-401C-ADCC-81D27CA36598_zpsw9gllqkk.jpg

The gate has the paneling welded on (again it was more to keep the ferrets in the yard when they escape out the back door. They are not really aloud out there, but when it happens they can't roam the streets) which also doubles as a way to keep torts in and a slight visual barrier.
66EBEDD9-ED44-468E-AEE1-F77088047B49_zpsko3udk1f.jpg

The area is only about 12x15 and not fully landscaped yet. I planted a mix from Carolina pet supply that lasted the winter.
FD22313C-46A1-49DF-A898-6B4CE840AD81_zpsxwhyevan.jpg

The plant in the right corner is where she usually hides, but I have practically dug the thing up making sure she isn't under/around/in it.
1B24F697-C14D-4F7C-B148-05A9A3CBEE3F_zpsabqe4czc.jpg

98382211-695B-4F47-B77D-F98417143812_zpsjnxugy6b.jpg

This is just materials we were using for another project, I have moved it twice to look under/around/between it. The ground under it is fairly hard too, not easy to dig.
EC23C849-F6C7-4EF4-A113-5CA21E237E0C_zpsabx8igcw.jpg

Got excited when I saw this area, disturbed ground, but turns out the cat has been using it as a litter box :/
EC46E483-B04B-4213-9ADB-F4840A3F4ADB_zpszkqh2dbs.jpg

9E640F47-6AB5-4E52-968D-49790576E077_zpsfhfvdjay.jpg

The back section of fence has this green paneling as a vision barrier mostly, was originally put up to keep her from going through the fence, she has since grown out of being able to do that. As you can see the largest hole is only an inch or two and the ground is rocky and also not disturbed.

Anyhow, I think I have covered everything, not a big area to hide in. Still no word from posters, nothing on craigslist. Talked to several local vets who do exotics to watch for her as well.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
A tortoise can be on the move. I've had the experience of finding the escapee in a place I'd already searched several times. Try putting outs favorite food. Good luck.

kvcockrell

Knoxville, TN
Maybe a random idea...but is your boxer interested in your tortoise? IF SO...good! Maybe let your dog help you search for the tortoise. Turn it into a game! You start by looking under and around things and get your pup real excited to help you find "something". It's worth a shot and it's worked for me twice over the years! My little corgi/mix thought it was the most amazing game ever! Either way, I hope everything works out for y'all :) Good luck!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am guessing she is still missing? :(

Now that she is larger, is there any chance she has the strength to push back that green panel in the corner enough to squeeze through?

Have you (not going back to reread the whole thread to refresh my memory) asked kids in the neighborhood to look for her? Offer them a reward to find her. Also have you posted lost tortoise papers along the streets, at folk's doors, on cars, on Craig's list/Freecyle, with Veterinarians, animal control/HS/ who ever you have, local zoos and pet stores, feed supply places, Game and Parks, any wildlife control people, local radio or newspaper even?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Is that gate locked?

After seeing the pen and it's location by the front door I'm suspecting someone saw her and (if that gate is not locked) opened it to take her.
I'm sorry to hear that you are in this situation.

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
New Mexico
No, the gate wasn't locked. Kicking myself for that one. :/ still no sign of her. We've asked everyone we know to keep an eye out and I still do a sweep in the enclosure for her once a day. Am still watching craigslist and have contacted vets and pet shops.