These questions may sound silly...

T1ME1

Location (City and/or State)
East Anglia, England, United Kingdom
....but I was wondering if anyone could please give me a hand. I pick up my 9 month old Greek on Friday and am trying to get everything straight:

1. What temperature should I aim for, for each of my 4 temps?

2. What quantity of food should I be feeding him and how many times a day?

3. Will be require daily bathing still at that age or do I cut it down to once every 3 days now?

4. What bedding would be ideal? It looked like for bedding they were using hay/straw at the shop

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide. I am buying a full kit including tortoise table so I should have all the tools, just need to make sure I do things right.

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Congrats on your new tort! I have a Greek tort who is just approaching 9 months old! Personally I only feed him once unless he is begging for food when I walk by. I try to feed enough so he has some left over he can eat for a snack later, but every once in a while he will stand in his food bowl and stretch his neck to get me to realize that he wants more food!! Personally, I would still give baths every day. The first few weeks will be especially crucial while he settles into his new home. Every once in a while I will get busy and not have time to give him a bath and that seems ok, but I would aim for every day until he is a year old at least.
For bedding I would never use hay or straw.. they don't keep moisture in well at all! Personally I use coco coir mixed with organic soil (make sure it is organic and without fertilizers!) I know other people use fine orchid bark. I have never had a problem with coco coir and it helps keep the moisture in as well as providing a place to burrow (my tort is a master of hiding!)

I am going to leave your temperature question to someone else... I make sure that I have a basking spot 95-100 and a cooler areas, I have one that is around 85 and then 75. That's worked for me, but I'll let more experienced people chime in on that too!

T1ME1

Great, thank you for that. I am feeling slightly paranoid about temperature already (not even got him yet) as we do not have the best climate here in England, even when it is summer!

Thanks for the advice re bedding and feeding. I will grab some suitable bedding at the store if it turns out they have not provided it with the set.

I also got told that I should spray the substrate and bedding every other day to keep it moist, is that correct? Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please read the care sheet at the top of the Greek section here on the Forum. I'm pretty sure your questions will find answers there.

T1ME1

Thanks Yvonne, I did have a look at the Greek care sheet, which gave me a great overview, it was just that I had a few specific questions that I didn't think I had read the answers to. I will be sure to go and check it out again though.

This may also sound rather naive, but I have also seen a lot if weeds/plants being said to be safe for torts to eat. Does this include the flowers/petals of those plants in every instance or should I just be feeding the leaves? I have ordered some mixed seeds online which I hope to get growing soon.

I apologjse for the dumb questions - I just really want to give my tort the best life possible! I would hate to think that I might inadvertently do something to harm/upset the little guy.

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Check out thetortoisetable.org.uk it's a great tool in deciding what parts of plants and what plants are edible and how often they should be fed! I have the app and I use it all the time!!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
T1ME1, first let me tell you that the only naive question is the one that doesn't get asked and results in poor health for your new charge. I have zero Greek experience,(other than falling asleep in studies) so I can't help you there. I live in the upper Williamette valley and we too have a maritime climate. I use for substrate a 50/50 by volume of organic peat moss and organic top soil. The key is that it is top soil, not potting soil. Often, potting soil will have those white colored bits in it and tortoises find these to be attractive to eat, when this happens they experience intestinal blockages that are costly if not fatal for your tortoise. Also make sure it isn't fortified with manures. Hays and straws, rabbit pellets all hold moisture well, BUT they then mold while decomposing and this is another bad environment for your tortoise. Sand should also be avoided because when, not if, but when eaten it too provides for blockage of the intestines.
Head over to the Greek sub-section of the forum in the specie specific section to ask your other questions. Hope this helps you some. Remember ask, always ask.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Welcome and cant wait to see you post pictures.... As you can see... some of us are addicts and need our daily dose of cuteness.... SHOW ME PICTURES!!! lol...