Thick urine, like raw egg whites

KdeeA

5 Year Member
My desert tortoise started on Allopurinol for gout a couple months ago. Around that time, I noticed that his urine looked a little slimy, though clear with mild urates. I’m not sure if it had been happening prior to the meds, though. I took him off his meds a week ago just to see if I noticed a change and the urine seems thicker, like raw egg whites. Doctor prescribed Enrofloxacin. I guess I’m gonna start it, but wanted to see if anyone had experienced something like this before. Not sure how I feel about this vet yet.

zovick

10 Year Member!
My desert tortoise started on Allopurinol for gout a couple months ago. Around that time, I noticed that his urine looked a little slimy, though clear with mild urates. I’m not sure if it had been happening prior to the meds, though. I took him off his meds a week ago just to see if I noticed a change and the urine seems thicker, like raw egg whites. Doctor prescribed Enrofloxacin. I guess I’m gonna start it, but wanted to see if anyone had experienced something like this before. Not sure how I feel about this vet yet.
Thick urine as you described is not necessarily unusual for many tortoises. Nonetheless, I would recommend making sure your tortoise is well hydrated. Soak it daily for 15-20 minutes. Good hydration is especially important if you are going to give it the antibiotic. Were any lab tests done to see if there is truly an infection which needs to be treated or was this a "shoot from the hip" diagnosis? Is this vet a reptile vet or not?

KdeeA

5 Year Member
Thick urine as you described is not necessarily unusual for many tortoises. Nonetheless, I would recommend making sure your tortoise is well hydrated. Soak it daily for 15-20 minutes. Good hydration is especially important if you are going to give it the antibiotic. Were any lab tests done to see if there is truly an infection which needs to be treated or was this a "shoot from the hip" diagnosis? Is this vet a reptile vet or not?
I know the other vet in this office is a reptile vet, not entirely sure about the one I am seeing. Based on her bio, it sounds like she is but she is relatively new to the office. I talked to her over the phone about some of the gout tests and mentioned the urine so she mailed me the meds. No test was done for this. This is why I am a little hesitant to give. I haven’t found a herp vet I trust despite this office being recommended to me.

KdeeA

5 Year Member
I thought I had pic but I can’t find it. Will try to get one today.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Of course, it's totally up to you, but I would not give Baytril (enrofloxacin) to a tortoise unless tests had been done and the test results call for Baytril. This is a very harsh antibiotic, and painful.

Sometimes mucousy urine is caused by flagellite type parasites.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I know the other vet in this office is a reptile vet, not entirely sure about the one I am seeing. Based on her bio, it sounds like she is but she is relatively new to the office. I talked to her over the phone about some of the gout tests and mentioned the urine so she mailed me the meds. No test was done for this. This is why I am a little hesitant to give. I haven’t found a herp vet I trust despite this office being recommended to me.
I agree with Yvonne as she stated above. Don't use that antibiotic unless lab tests have been done to prove it is needed. It can cause great pain as well as tissue necrosis at the injection site (assuming she sent you the injectable form of the medication).

In what city and state are you located? I may know of a reptile vet whom you could use if necessary.

KdeeA

5 Year Member
Of course, it's totally up to you, but I would not give Baytril (enrofloxacin) to a tortoise unless tests had been done and the test results call for Baytril. This is a very harsh antibiotic, and painful.

Sometimes mucousy urine is caused by flagellite type parasites.
That is why I am hesitant to give, though he has taken it before with not much issue.
Are the test for these parasites done via fecal exam?

KdeeA

5 Year Member
It’
I agree with Yvonne as she stated above. Don't use that antibiotic unless lab tests have been done to prove it is needed. It can cause great pain as well as tissue necrosis at the injection site (assuming she sent you the injectable form of the medication).

In what city and state are you located? I may know of a reptile vet whom you could use if necessary.
The medication is oral. I am in Southern California, about an hour south of Los Angeles.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is why I am hesitant to give, though he has taken it before with not much issue.
Are the test for these parasites done via fecal exam?
Yes, but you have to remind them that they're testing for flaggelates. It's a different de-wormer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is this vet close to you:

San Diego

Thomas H. Boyer, DVM
Pet Hospital of Penasquitos
9888 Carmel Mt. Road, Suite F
San Diego, CA 92129
Tel: (858) 484-3490

He really knows his stuff when it comes to tortoises.

zovick

10 Year Member!
It’

The medication is oral. I am in Southern California, about an hour south of Los Angeles.

If you want to go up to LA, here is a very good exotics vet whom I know personally:

Laila M. Proença, MV, DVM, MS, PhD

Director of the Exotic Animal Medicine Program

VCA Animal Hospitals, 12401 W. Olympic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90064
, 1 (800) 966-1822
Associate Veterinarian at the Avian & Exotics Department
VCA West Los Angeles Animal Hospital, 1900 S Sepulveda Blvd,
Los Angeles, CA 90025
(310) 473-2951

KdeeA

5 Year Member
Is this vet close to you:

San Diego

Thomas H. Boyer, DVM
Pet Hospital of Penasquitos
9888 Carmel Mt. Road, Suite F
San Diego, CA 92129
Tel: (858) 484-3490

He really knows his stuff when it comes to tortoises.
Not particularly close, but good to know in a bind. Thanks.

KdeeA

5 Year Member

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks. I will take the info down.
If you do decide to call Dr. Proenca, tell her you were referred by Dr. Zovickian from GA. She will appreciate hearing that.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
If you do decide to call Dr. Proenca, tell her you were referred by Dr. Zovickian from GA. She will appreciate hearing that.

Off topic, but who do you use in GA? No health issues with my herd now but I’m not that far from you, and curious to see who you recommend.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Off topic, but who do you use in GA? No health issues with my herd now but I’m not that far from you, and curious to see who you recommend.
Here in GA, I would recommend these three people right off the bat:

Dr. Brad Wilson and Dr. Justin Oguni who practice at The Veterinary Clinic West in Marietta. Phone is: (770) 424-5484.

Also in GA, you can go to the UGA Vet School in Athens and see Dr. Steve Divers. He is the head of their Exotics Department and literally "wrote the book" on many procedures used today, especially relating to endoscopy of turtles and tortoises. Vet School number is: (706) 542-3221.

Tell any of them I sent you and they'll charge you extra (LOL)!

nandusnandus

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
I'd like to clarify. Are you saying that your tortoise was treated for gout based upon the quality of its urine?

KdeeA

5 Year Member
I'd like to clarify. Are you saying that your tortoise was treated for gout based upon the quality of its urine?
No, the gout diagnosis was based on swelling in the legs and x-rays. I’m not sure if the thick urine is a side effect of the medication or something or just normal, but my other DT does not have thick urine.

nandusnandus

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
So, gout was presumed, not diagnosed with a high degree of certainty. I'm not saying this is inappropriate; that is the way many things are diagnosed and subsequently treated. However, it does sound as though the diagnosis is far from set in stone. What medication was used for the presumed gout?

Reactions: MT1